Galactic Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
So, I brewed up a blonde ale this weekend, loosely based on Revvy's recipe...

6 lbs Pilsner DME
1 lb Belgian Aromatic
1 lb Vienna

1 oz Sterling, 20M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander
1 oz Saaz, 5M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander

Wyeast 3787

I think this is going to be awesome! However, I cannot resist the urge to tinker further. I'm impulse purchased a couple of oz's of Galaxy hops, and I want to throw them in as a dry hop! And if I go that route, I could even add some passionfruit juice to reinforce that flavor? Maybe I should just shut up and enjoy this as is already!

Still looking for some feedback for this one if possible. I know a lot of my beers are weird out of style mongrels, but I'm only concerned that the beer taste good! Should I dry hop this bad boy with the galaxy?

Galaxy is amazing. I had it in a clean IPA with warrior last night and it was darn good.

The coriander (a whole ounce yowzer) and Saaz will definitely make this beer a style to itself if you dry hop with galaxy. I think it sounds like a good experiment, and as the dry hop fades it will turn into a completely different brew. If you can stand NOT drinking it!

So, I brewed up a blonde ale this weekend, loosely based on Revvy's recipe...

6 lbs Pilsner DME
1 lb Belgian Aromatic
1 lb Vienna

1 oz Sterling, 20M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander
1 oz Saaz, 5M + 1/2 oz cracked corriander

Wyeast 3787

I think this is going to be awesome! However, I cannot resist the urge to tinker further. I'm impulse purchased a couple of oz's of Galaxy hops, and I want to throw them in as a dry hop! And if I go that route, I could even add some passionfruit juice to reinforce that flavor? Maybe I should just shut up and enjoy this as is already!

Just so you know, Vienna and Aromatic have to be mashed. I think they have enough enzymes to convert themselves, but I'm not sure. I would leave out the corriander and definitely dry hop with Galaxy. Should be a pretty good brew.

Yeah, I mashed 'em BIAB style so should be good to go. Ok, I'm doin it! Will post up the results in a few weeks hopefully!!
Skipping the fruit juice.

i'd ditch the coriander for the galaxy. try to find a commercial white IPA to get an example of coriander plus hops, i think it pairs miserably

The beer is already brewed, so can't really remove the corriander. However, this batch has already been aging for a month and a half. I have a feeling that by the time I get around to adding the dry hops, (possibly up to a month from now), that the corriander will be almost undetectable, (and the pungency of the galaxy hops will definitely overpower the spices). We'll see though, always a work in progress!

I think I might take Pesi's suggestion though and split the batch.

The gravity finally settled down to within specifications 1.012 so I added the dry hops last night. 2 oz of galaxy and 1 oz of amarillo. Holy cow, I wanted to start nom'ing on the galaxy hops out of the bag- they smell amazing! I did have a quick question- the beer itself is a little hazy, I want to add some gelatin to clear it, but can I do this simultaneously while dry hopping without killing my flavor and aroma?

acidrain23 said:
The gravity finally settled down to within specifications 1.012 so I added the dry hops last night. 2 oz of galaxy and 1 oz of amarillo. Holy cow, I wanted to start nom'ing on the galaxy hops out of the bag- they smell amazing! I did have a quick question- the beer itself is a little hazy, I want to add some gelatin to clear it, but can I do this simultaneously while dry hopping without killing my flavor and aroma?

I've been giving 7 days dry hop then putting fermentor into ice bath for 3 days. Drops the hops, clears the beer pretty effectively.

I use a rubbermaid (like for moving). Put in the fermenter, fill with cold tap water to about halfway, then add two frozen gallon sealed jugs of water. I keep four jugs in rotation, changing morning/night. Gets the fermentor down to 45-50F. Of course it would be nice to have a fridge to put it in but this is the caveman way of doing it.

Just wanted to provide an update on this one- the beer came out great!

The beer pours a beautiful golden color, haze is gone if poured carefully. Head is thick but dissipates fairly quickly leaving some lacing on the glass. Aroma is great, tropical fruit/passionfruit character which segues into the more traditional belgiany flavor profile. Taste is a bit spicy (from the corriander and Saaz?), not sweet, a little tart with the phenolics. The slight tart edge reinforces the fruit flavors from the hops. Body is a bit thin, but it makes the beer very drinkable. Very happy with the way this one came out! Its also very unlike any beer I've had to date.

Latest posts

Back