should i wait to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcow_number_6

Reaction score
I've always read that after your wort cools down to about 80F go ahead and put it in the fermenter and pitch your yeast. Yesterday I brewed an Vienna Amber Ale (og 1.049), cooled it down to 80F, and put it in my SOFC. Four hours later my starter was ready with white labs California ale yeast so I pitched it. Even with 4-3 liter bottles of ice cooling it, the next morning temps were still at 75F according to the fermometer. Im not really worried about this batch but in the future, to limit ester production, should I let the wort cool to fermentation temps first and then pitch?

I generally try to cool down to fermentation temperature or slightly below but part of it depends on style. The cleaner you want the yeast profile to be the closer to pitch near fermentation temp. At least that's how I approach it. Cheers

Yes as a general rule I pitch cool and let the temps rise during the ferment. Pitching warm increases the esters, diacytle, acetaldehyde and harsh alcohol flavors.

I agree with jrod and maida7. As a rule "O" thumb, pitch at the temp you want to ferment at.

I'll be sure to cool it all the way down to fermentation temps next time. Thanks!

Back