Boom Boom What If????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
Let's say that some one didn't have the correct hops for Cheesefoods Boom Boom Vanilla Ale. And let's say that that same person used slightly different bittering hops. Um, how weird could this turn out?

Ok, I used Magnum hops instead of Cascade. AND I used a WHOLE ounce. Damn hophead in me - and lack of the correct ingredients and lack of a nearby lhbs. I know that I included his original recipe, but it is soooooooooo beautiful. I guess that I'm just gonna recreate a Mona Lisa with a bit of a smirk.

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Briess Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
1oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
1oz Hallertau for aroma (5 minutes)
All hops are whole hops from Freshops

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract (too damned expensive to use more)
~ 1/4 cup Malto Dextrine

Priming
4oz vanilla
2 oz Makers Mark Bourbon
.5 cups light DME
.25 cups honey

I'd assume it would simply make it a WHOLE lot more bitter! I mean, if you're using it for bittering, it's not going to affect the flavor that much, but there's a big AA difference between Magnum and Cascade... But I'm sure you know this... just preachin' to the choir...

SkaBoneBenny said:
I'd assume it would simply make it a WHOLE lot more bitter! I mean, if you're using it for bittering, it's not going to affect the flavor that much, but there's a big AA difference between Magnum and Cascade... But I'm sure you know this... just preachin' to the choir...

Probably won't be quite as sweet, but hopefully won't be vanilla-hops.

Not too sure if "vanilla hops" might be that bad. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Well, in six weeks I'll know if this works or is just something to finish in order to use the bottles again. In any rate, it's BEER!!!!

Back