1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a few 1 gallon "test" batches and really like the simplicity of the smaller brew. I find it too small for most of my brewing needs though and have stuck with either 2.5 or 5 gallon batches for the most part lately.

However, I have been wanting to brew a barley wine but don't really want to commit to 5 gallons of a beer I'm not going to drink on a regular basis. I have never brewed a barley wine, or any big beer really, and was hoping to get some help with a 1 gallon recipe and process from this thread. I would like to end up with a big, 10%+ beer that is well balanced with a hearty malt background and enough hop character to balance it all out.

I grow my own Willamette, Fuggle, Centennial, and Cascade hops and would like to use them as much as possible, even to the point of giving the finished beer the classic citrus flavor from the Centennial and Cascades.

I'd like to do all grain, but would do some DME if needed.

Has anyone done something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brewed up a gallon of the below can't wait to see how it turns out

2 Row Grain
Munich Malt
Carafoam
Caramel
Crystal Malt
Melanoiden Malt
Columbus
Magnum
Amarillo
Nelson Sauvin

Nope but they make me want to start making kimchi soon. :rockin:

I've done a few 1 gallon "test" batches and really like the simplicity of the smaller brew. I find it too small for most of my brewing needs though and have stuck with either 2.5 or 5 gallon batches for the most part lately.

However, I have been wanting to brew a barley wine but don't really want to commit to 5 gallons of a beer I'm not going to drink on a regular basis. I have never brewed a barley wine, or any big beer really, and was hoping to get some help with a 1 gallon recipe and process from this thread. I would like to end up with a big, 10%+ beer that is well balanced with a hearty malt background and enough hop character to balance it all out.

I grow my own Willamette, Fuggle, Centennial, and Cascade hops and would like to use them as much as possible, even to the point of giving the finished beer the classic citrus flavor from the Centennial and Cascades.

I'd like to do all grain, but would do some DME if needed.

Has anyone done something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not as such but made a mess of a malty hoppy mashup for my first recipe.

It's awesome you can grow your own hops btw! With a little apartment balcony usually covered in snow and two very destructively curious felines sadly won't accommodate my mini-grow-op desires.

Don't know the ABV but my first experimental recipe ever was going for something similar and it was a malty hoppy explosion of oddness. :/ I liked it but it wasn't for everyone and there's lots I would change now I know more:

3 quarts mash @ 154
4 quarts sparge
75 minute boil

LBS Malt/Adjunct
1.5 Maris Otter
0.25 Munich Dark
0.25 Crystal 45
0.125 Crystal 150
0.03125 Chocolate
0.25 CaraRye
0.1 Rye Flakes

Grams Additions Time
7 Columbus 75
7 Columbus 45
7 Columbus 30
7 Amarillo 15
7 Amarillo 5
7 Zythos 0

Yeast Nottingham rehydrated

This was totally over the top and I had no idea what I was doing. Just threw in everything that sounded yummy. Which was everything. :D

Maybe yank the Rye and add in some Carafoam, swap Columbus for Willamette and the Zythos/Amarillo for Cascade and Centennial.

Drop in some US-05 in place of Notty and see what happens? :D

Brewed up a gallon of the below can't wait to see how it turns out

2 Row Grain
Munich Malt
Carafoam
Caramel
Crystal Malt
Melanoiden Malt
Columbus
Magnum
Amarillo
Nelson Sauvin

Looks interesting definitely let us know the results! Looks like it will be nice and malty! The 2 row will let the hops really pop and the Munich (dark or light?) with the carafoam should add some nice body.

Never used Melanoiden before. Guessing that is to add some body as well?

Never used Nelson, any beers I've had with it here in Ontario I wasn't too keen on, but they were also from breweries I wasn't too keen on either ;)

My partner is going to be down in South America for over a month, and in areas where the only beers you can find are basically pilsners (and pretty crappy ones to boot), so getting a big palate cleansing. I just brewed this up last night to have ready for her return, she asked for something "hoppy" :p

(don't have my recipe book for exact amounts in front of me atm)

500-ish grams Maris Otter
250-ish grams 2 Row
140-ish grams Carafoam
56 grams Cararye
56 grams Rye Flakes

3g Glacier @ 60
3g Glacier @ 50
6g Cascade @ 40
3g Glacier @ 30
6g Cascade @ 20
3g Glacier @ 15
6g Cascade @ 10
5g Citra @ 5

Using BRY-97 for the first time. This morning there was little to no activity, but have been reading that BRY can be a bit slow to start sometimes. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey can the 1 gallon brewers help me make my first all-grain batch?

I've got a buddy who is just now getting into brewing and as his first recipe kit he got a very high gravity IIPA ... So I told he he really needs to make a yeast starter for that high gravity. So my thought process is why not make a 1 gallon batch of beer instead. Bottle like 6-8 bottles and then use the slurry as our starter for his big beer..... Make sense?

So I would love to replicate LAGUNITAS PALE ALE for this 1 gallon "starter beer" any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there,

I have been reading some of this thread lately ( yeah not the 500+ pages of it) and went to the local homebrew store this morning and got my first taste of : yeah real brewer brew 5 gallons …. Oh well some of you were warning me through their post here fair enough.

I am know going to rethink my "supply chain" and will go form there. Hope to post soon about my first brew

Nope but they make me want to start making kimchi soon. :rockin:

Not as such but made a mess of a malty hoppy mashup for my first recipe.

It's awesome you can grow your own hops btw! With a little apartment balcony usually covered in snow and two very destructively curious felines sadly won't accommodate my mini-grow-op desires.

Don't know the ABV but my first experimental recipe ever was going for something similar and it was a malty hoppy explosion of oddness. :/ I liked it but it wasn't for everyone and there's lots I would change now I know more:

3 quarts mash @ 154

4 quarts sparge

75 minute boil

LBSMalt/Adjunct

1.5Maris Otter

0.25Munich Dark

0.25Crystal 45

0.125Crystal 150

0.03125Chocolate

0.25CaraRye

0.1Rye Flakes

GramsAdditionsTime

7Columbus75

7Columbus45

7Columbus30

7Amarillo15

7Amarillo5

7Zythos0

Yeast Nottinghamrehydrated

This was totally over the top and I had no idea what I was doing. Just threw in everything that sounded yummy. Which was everything. :D

Maybe yank the Rye and add in some Carafoam, swap Columbus for Willamette and the Zythos/Amarillo for Cascade and Centennial.

Drop in some US-05 in place of Notty and see what happens? :D

Looks interesting definitely let us know the results! Looks like it will be nice and malty! The 2 row will let the hops really pop and the Munich (dark or light?) with the carafoam should add some nice body.

Never used Melanoiden before. Guessing that is to add some body as well?

Never used Nelson, any beers I've had with it here in Ontario I wasn't too keen on, but they were also from breweries I wasn't too keen on either ;)

My partner is going to be down in South America for over a month, and in areas where the only beers you can find are basically pilsners (and pretty crappy ones to boot), so getting a big palate cleansing. I just brewed this up last night to have ready for her return, she asked for something "hoppy" :p

(don't have my recipe book for exact amounts in front of me atm)

500-ish grams Maris Otter

250-ish grams 2 Row

140-ish grams Carafoam

56 grams Cararye

56 grams Rye Flakes

3g Glacier @ 60

3g Glacier @ 50

6g Cascade @ 40

3g Glacier @ 30

6g Cascade @ 20

3g Glacier @ 15

6g Cascade @ 10

5g Citra @ 5

Using BRY-97 for the first time. This morning there was little to no activity, but have been reading that BRY can be a bit slow to start sometimes. :(

Your from Toronto? Did you try the bellwoods Monogamy - Nelson Sauvin? It was absolutely delicious and probably my favorite monogamy yet.

Jake

Hey there,

I have been reading some of this thread lately ( yeah not the 500+ pages of it) and went to the local homebrew store this morning and got my first taste of : yeah real brewer brew 5 gallons …. Oh well some of you were warning me through their post here fair enough.

I am know going to rethink my "supply chain" and will go form there. Hope to post soon about my first brew

Yeah, you'll get that. I learned to keep the questions about techniques and basic concepts generalized to beer making in any size batch. They don't need to know everything about your preferences. If your buying bulk grains for steeping, extract, hops, and yeast they better be nice and give general guidance.

Northern Brewer has a nice selection of 1 gallon kits available. I went through several of them getting started. I believe Midwest has 1 gallon AG kits/recipes too, when you get there.

basicbrewing.com is an awesome resource with audio and video podcasts. Steve and James are awesome guys that can teach you a lot of stuff.

Okay, I think I just figured out the name for this barleywine...

Two weeks into the primary fermentation, I have been glad to see that the trub is settling out. Now no more than, say, the bottom 40 PERCENT of the jug is full of grain and yeast sediment. Every now and then it will release a big bubble from the trub, which makes its way to the surface leaving a trail of pale particles along the way.

So my 'hop gravy' is slowly turning into a proper barleywine. Now I'm trying to figure out how long I should leave it in the fermenter. I'm thinking at least a month. Would longer be better? And when I do bottle, how long should I allow for it to carb up?

I've done plenty of extract+specialty grains 5 gallon batches and a few partial mash 5 gallon batches and 2 extract+specialty grains 1 gallon batches. (from northern brewer) I want this to be my first all-grain batch and it will be the starter for my friend's big IIPA . I really just need to know how much grain and what kinds of grain to hit around %6 abv using US-05 and how much hops per addition. I'd love something similar to Lagunitas PALE ALE. But I can't find anything on a clone sooo. I'd be happy as long as it's a good APA. Thanks. For the response btw!

Two weeks into the primary fermentation, I have been glad to see that the trub is settling out. Now no more than, say, the bottom 40 PERCENT of the jug is full of grain and yeast sediment. Every now and then it will release a big bubble from the trub, which makes its way to the surface leaving a trail of pale particles along the way.

So my 'hop gravy' is slowly turning into a proper barleywine. Now I'm trying to figure out how long I should leave it in the fermenter. I'm thinking at least a month. Would longer be better? And when I do bottle, how long should I allow for it to carb up?

I left it for three weeks then dry hopped for a week. It's so amazing. One of my best. Going to do a 3.5 gallon version soon

You can leave for that long or age it up to a couple months. Up to you. You may need to reyeast at bottling if you leave it for a while and the yeast settles out

Try this:
2lbs 2 row
2.5oz Munich
2.5oz Victory
1.5oz Wheat

Mash at 150 for 60

6g Horizon @60
3g Centennial @10
3g Cascade @10
3g Centennial @0
3g Cascade @0

1/3pkg US-05

It's a scaled down version from Brewing Classic Styles. Makes a solid APA.

Sorry that I haven't read the entire thread. Quick question... Is there a place that has a bunch of 1 gallon recipes? I am looking to start to do some 1 gallon batches of quick 15 min boils or so of extract beers. I just don't have the time anymore to make full all grain 5 gallon batches. I guess what I am really interested in are some hop schedules for a short boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try this:
2lbs 2 row
2.5oz Munich
2.5oz Victory
1.5oz Wheat

Mash at 150 for 60

6g Horizon @60
3g Centennial @10
3g Cascade @10
3g Centennial @0
3g Cascade @0

1/3pkg US-05

It's a scaled down version from Brewing Classic Styles. Makes a solid APA.

That sounds right. At that size, the hop additions are tiny.

Sorry that I haven't read the entire thread. Quick question... Is there a place that has a bunch of 1 gallon recipes? I am looking to start to do some 1 gallon batches of quick 15 min boils or so of extract beers. I just don't have the time anymore to make full all grain 5 gallon batches. I guess what I am really interested in are some hop schedules for a short boil.

Hope this helps. Not all that scientific other than I tend to target 30ibu's and use the same finishing amounts.

15 min Citra

I've done plenty of extract+specialty grains 5 gallon batches and a few partial mash 5 gallon batches and 2 extract+specialty grains 1 gallon batches. (from northern brewer) I want this to be my first all-grain batch and it will be the starter for my friend's big IIPA . I really just need to know how much grain and what kinds of grain to hit around %6 abv using US-05 and how much hops per addition. I'd love something similar to Lagunitas PALE ALE. But I can't find anything on a clone sooo. I'd be happy as long as it's a good APA. Thanks. For the response btw!

80% pale
15% munich
5% Caramunich

figure to 6.5abv, at least 1.5gal into the fermenter as you'll loose a lot of liquid to hops:

Hops:
0.25oz Bravo at FWH
0.50oz Centennial at 10min
0.25oz Bravo Whirlpool
0.50oz Centennial Whirlpool

First dryhop
0.50oz Bravo 4 day

Second dryhop
1oz Amarillo 4 day

Hi guys,

I just posted a video on Youtube with instructions on How to Brew 1 gallon of beer

That should help beginners who are still unsure, like I was when I started
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRmxQCFVF0[/ame]

I think a wort chiller is good to use here if you already have one. It can help you get a clearer beer. And if it is clear enough, you can use an autosiphon without it clogging halfway. I now rather use the mini autosiphon to transfer from the pot to the 1 gallon carboy, then dump the small amount remaining in the sanitized funnel with cheesecloth to the carboy.

The water that I add at the end to bring it up to the 1 gallon level is bottled water that I have sanitized by bringing it to boiling in a small pot, then cooled to room temp in a larger pot with ice water. A bit obsessive and probably not necessary, but I try to eliminate the chance of getting an infection. Also do that if I am adding something like maple syrup dissolved in water.

What size bung and blow off tube did you use in the video?

The standard size for 1 gallon jugs is 6.

https://www.homebrewery.com/Drilled-Rubber-Stopper-6?search=rubber stopper

Although I have found that you can also get away with the universal 6.5
I believe it is 3/8" diameter tubing that fits in the drilled hole of the stopper.

A different (non-standard) option that I use for my blow off tube is to put the bottom part of a 3 piece airlock in the stopper, then insert a 5/16" OD tube inside the stem of the airlock. I figured out that it fits inside snuggly, and can be pushed all the way down. A 1/2" tube would fit on the outside of the airlock stem, but I find it is harder to pull off when it comes time to remove the blowoff tube and fit the top part of the airlock into place.

Try checking oregon's homebrew xchange website. They have some great 1-gallon, detailed recipes. I particularly liked their pico honey wheat when I brewed it last year.

Try checking oregon's homebrew xchange website. They have some great 1-gallon, detailed recipes. I particularly liked their pico honey wheat when I brewed it last year.

+1 on HBX for 1 gallon. I've done the NoPo Nut Brown several times. Scaled it up to 3 gallons last time.

Their recipes are good but tend to be hoppy (they are in the Northwest after all).

I've been brewing for a couple years now always 5 gal batches but somebody just have me a 1 gal all grain kit any helpful hints or tips specific to 1 gallon batches I should know?

I've been brewing for a couple years now always 5 gal batches but somebody just have me a 1 gal all grain kit any helpful hints or tips specific to 1 gallon batches I should know?

On my last 1 gallon batch of IPA, after I had auto-siphoned to the bottling pail and bottled my beers, I decided to dump the remaining trub liquid at the bottom of the carboy into a sanitized mason jar. I closed it up and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day there was a layer of beer on top of the trub. I extracted it using a stainless steel turkey baster, the one with the needle attachment.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFTOE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I imagine this pretty much amounts to cold crashing. I was able to get an extra glass of great tasting (although flat) IPA. With the effort you put in for 1 gallon, you might as well do everything you can to maximize your yield from it. Had I used a larger 1 liter size mason jar (instead of 500 ML), I would have been able to fit the entire remaining liquids into the jar and gotten more. I might have gotten enough to make an extra bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
80% pale
15% munich
5% Caramunich

figure to 6.5abv, at least 1.5gal into the fermenter as you'll loose a lot of liquid to hops:

Hops:
0.25oz Bravo at FWH
0.25oz Bravo Whirlpool

First dryhop
0.50oz Bravo 4 day

Second dryhop
1oz Amarillo 4 day

You say make sure 1.5 gallons goes into the fermenter to get 1 gallon out when done. What fermenter do you use? All I have that's close to these batches I a 1 gallon jug . Where do I get a 1.5 or 2 gallon jug?

80% pale
15% munich
5% Caramunich

Hops:
0.25oz Bravo at FWH
0.25oz Bravo Whirlpool

First dryhop
0.50oz Bravo 4 day

Second dryhop
1oz Amarillo 4 day

You say make sure 1.5 gallons goes into the fermenter to get 1 gallon out when done. What fermenter do you use? All I have that's close to these batches I a 1 gallon jug . Where do I get a 1.5 or 2 gallon jug?

sumbrewindude;

With a 1 gallon jug you're going to need about a quart of headspace.

My LHBS sells 2gal buckets with lids for around $10, but Home Depot sells them, too, if you're confidante drilling your own hole in the lid.

Hello everyone I brew 1 gallon batches most of the time. I have everything for 5 gallon all grain, but like most I enjoy variety. I can bang out multiple recipes a week and make adjustments to the next batch much faster. It has been fun making my own recipes from scratch lately. If you screw a batch up no big deal. Have fun and brew on.

I'm using the one gallon batches to improve my skills at home-brewing. I am an all grain brewer. I started with Brooklyn, Midwest and Austin kits. Now I seek out recipes from friends, articles, or expanding upon the kits. My system is pretty much a mini version of the 5 gallon system. I mash in a kettle that I put in the oven. I have been able to keep the mash in temp steady. Mash is for 90 minutes and 1.5 qt./lb. I stir about every 20 minutes. The last 10 minutes I transfer the mash in the a lauter tun. Here I can vorlauf and sparge. I basically do a fly sparge technique. I purchased aerator that I installed into the lid of my lauter tun. I collect about 1.90 gallons of wort. I boil for 75 minutes, but I treat my brews as if it were a 60 minute boil. By doing this so far my efficiency has increased roughly from the 62% to about 72%. I hope that I didn't jinx myself now. I chill wort in a ice bath. Finally while my beer is fermenting (1.25 gallons in a 2 gallon bucket), I store it in a ice chest filled with water. Temps only change with a few degrees. If temp. goes up above 68, I will start putting in "ice" to bring back the temp. The amount depends upon where the temp rose to. I also do this for when I rack to secondary (1 gallon jug). Well I wanted to share what I do to see if it helps out others or see if I can improve upon what I am already doing.

With a 1 gallon jug you're going to need about a quart of headspace.

My LHBS sells 2gal buckets with lids for around $10, but Home Depot sells them, too, if you're confidante drilling your own hole in the lid.
I just a 2 gallon bucket that I got from my LHBS. I collect about 1.25 gallons because I lose the .25 to trub/yeast. It will depend upon what vessel you use to ferment in. It took me a few attempts to determine that amount I lost.

Your from Toronto? Did you try the bellwoods Monogamy - Nelson Sauvin? It was absolutely delicious and probably my favorite monogamy yet.

Jake

Good guess!!! Telepathy? You know... I haven't!!! Been there a few times and always find their food too salty and haven't been a fan of many of their beers: good, just not my thing. Haven't been down ossington in a while maybe have to make a point of stopping in :)

Back