My first mead, two months later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
Hey mead people! I did a batch of the Joe's ancient orange on July 24th. I waited long enough that the batch was nice and clear, and all the oranges but one had even sunk to the bottom. I wanted an excuse to use my mini siphon and to try the mead at this stage, so we racked it to another 1 gallon jug this weekend and had a taste.

It's pretty tasty, but I would describe it as a little "hot" - kind of like a big beer at a young age before it has matured. That being said, I want to age this batch for a while longer before I bottle or drink the rest & I had a question about storage temperature.

Would I be better off keeping this at room temperature for aging, or is cooler better? My chest freezer that I use for kegging beer stays at 44°F.

Thanks!

You can keep it at room temp and it will mature faster. At about 9 months of age, it really start to smooth out.

Burgs said:
Hey mead people! I did a batch of the Joe's ancient orange on July 24th. I waited long enough that the batch was nice and clear, and all the oranges but one had even sunk to the bottom. I wanted an excuse to use my mini siphon and to try the mead at this stage, so we racked it to another 1 gallon jug this weekend and had a taste.

It's pretty tasty, but I would describe it as a little "hot" - kind of like a big beer at a young age before it has matured. That being said, I want to age this batch for a while longer before I bottle or drink the rest & I had a question about storage temperature.

Would I be better off keeping this at room temperature for aging, or is cooler better? My chest freezer that I use for kegging beer stays at 44°F.

Thanks!

Just had a glass of this with a buddy... not so hot anymore! Also had a glass of his with no spices.. just honey yeast and water & it was fantastic!

Back