Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I brewed a double IPA last week with a starting gravity of 1.75
I pitched a wyeast American Ale yeast that has been in the closet for 6 months. I did not use a starter. It has been 7 days and the gravity is @ 1.55. This seams too slow. I am a little concerned about mold. I have another IPA that is ready to be kegged (wyeast british ale) that was the same age and worked remarkably well. Here are my options:
1. Leave it and let the yeast do its job albeit sowly.
2. repitch with Muntons dry yeast
3. Rack the batch on the yeast cake from the other ipa.

Suggestions?

Sounds like some abused yeast. I would pitch more regardless. For a 1.075 beer you really needed 2 healthy packs AND a starter, or 1 healthy pack and a big 1 gallon starter. Those are the ideal pitching rates from Mr. Malty anyhow...

that slurry you'll have sounds like a good bet. You don't need to rack the whole batch, though you could. Just recover a pint of the yeast and pitch it in.

At this point I'd say let it go. The yeast will be finished with reproduction and adding a packet of dry yeast won't actually raise the cell count substantially (unless you aerate again).

get a good dose of the yeast slurry and pitch it. you don't have anything to lose.

Back