Added Honey to Beer in secondary, Alas, abubbling no more!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I wanted to make a braggot, so I brewed a fairly low gravity pale ale and let it sit in primary for a little over a week. I then transferred to secondary and added honey. There are no bubbles coming from the airlock after 24 hours! Was I supposed to add the honey during primary? I added it to secondary because I didn't want to pasteurize the honey so the smells would stay inside and the beer is less likely to get infected after fermentation. But I'm thinking that the yeast may be tired at this point, and honey is difficult for yeast to metabolize, so I might end up with a sweet sweet beer. What should I have done differently and why is this not working? Thanks.

How did you add the honey? Did you dissolve it in some water? Also what kind of yeast are you using?

I dissolved the honey in water until it was runny, but still concentrated. Then I poured that into the bottom of my secondary fermenter and racked the beer from primary on top of it. I'm using a dry safale s-04 yeast because it's supposed to add little flavor to the beer and I wanted a lot of honey character. I pitched 1.5 times the regular amount for five gallons. I think the yeast should have been able to handle it because the OG was only about 1.035-1.040 without the honey.

Back