almost came to blows tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QFT. The only take away from this thread should be, in an aggressive situation don't be an idiot and walk smiling into a beat down. The most important thing is any fight is distance. By shaking the guys hand you just gave him all the cards.

Unless you're good in the clinch. ;)

I have a buddy that looked just like Jean CLaude VanDamme back in the day of Bloodsport and such. Every time we would go out (underage of course) some ****** would want to pick a fight with him. The only problem was he fought more like Van Dammes grandmother than Jean. He even pulled the Scooby Do move of pretending to know kung fu. I found it was always easier to talk my way out of a fight. If you sound confident but not cocky you get a lot more respect.

and knees. Gotta love knees.
A good elbow and a couple good knees and it's over before it started.

honestly though, I'd rather just have a beer, and find another bar.

You said he's friends with one of the SWMBO's friends so hopefully he'll be on his best behavior. If you take homebrewer99s advice early itt and do that in front of his/your SWMBO common friend...he'll sort of be forced to make nice or look like a dick in front of his friend. But I'm assuming his friend is a female and he wants to get into her pants.

I read this with batman sound effects included. I assume that's how you intended it.
Sometimes...you just can't get rid of a bomb.:D

that's what i would have done... ;)

Been there done that. Why is it some little fella always starts the stuff. Always use the small end of the stick across an ear first, as it is interesting to see where it goes from there. If it gets ugly, switch ends or use those little round hard things that roll around on the table. A rock glass works well too. If you are worried about going to jail, well, you are gonna go with having kicked some azz or having had your azz kicked, either way, because cops won't listen to your side of the story if you have been drinking. Mutual combat, you are going for drunk and disorderly in public.
AP

I would have shaken the guy's hand to try to defuse the whole situation.

That never works. I was a bartender years ago and every fight I broke up went to blows about two minutes after "shaking hands to try to diffuse the situation." They'd shake hand and I knew I'd be jumping over the bar real soon.

I suggest the "bro" hug. Go in for the back tap, then about 3/4 of the way in snap your left hip violently in (think golf swing) while bringing up your left elbow at his right ear.

As he's falling to the ground yell out DO YOU LIKE APPLES! Before he gets a chance to reply (if executed correctly there will be no response), yell out, HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES? Hilarity will ensue.

I have a friend that is a manster. He's 6'5" and weights probably 280, no fat. Back when only old men and bikers carried guns, it seemed like everytime we went to a bar, someone about a foot shorter than him would talk smack. He would avoid it almost every time. But once in a while, he would clock one. The vast majority of the time, that one punch would end it. Usually, a day or two later I would jack him up about it. His standard response was:
"Sometimes, them little guys need an a$$ whoopin'.

Now, other than a stop by a pub somewhere, I drink my homebrew in my shop with friends or family. - Dwain

I think I have the real solution. If someone is trying to fight you, quickly take off all of your clothes. No one, and I mean not a single person, is going to try to fight the drunk naked dude. Problem solved...

This is why I don't go out to drink.

I don't like crowded bars these days. Too many young punks that think they gotta prove their manhood. When it gets crowded combine drunkeness, accidental bumping, loose tongues and ego.... ....bring in jealousy issues when comes to women. Time to bail, sooner or later a conflict is about to erupt.

Not to mention, those of us who are older are smarter about the driving. I'd say the DUI thing keeps me from staying out late more so than the crowd. It doesn't take much to get .08% BAC. Not to mention if you are drinking at a place sells good micros its too hard to judge whats gonna get you past .08% Especially if you don't eat, like happy hour after work.

A guy died in a stupid little bar fight this Summer here in Philly.

What started out as some silly little macho dick swinging between a few guys in a bar ended up with a wife and two kids without a father (and son, to his parents) and three other guys in prison for "8-10 years" for aggravated manslaughter. I work with the mother of one of the three in prison. She is a shell of the woman she was before her son went to prison. It is horrible to see.

Back