Ever wonder what your kids are up to these days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - that has Darwin awards written all over it.

I find one thing really strange - that SEEMS to be a residential area. Aren't there any adults around??? I know that in my neighborhood, if ANYTHING like that was going down, there would be a swarm of parents putting a stop to it.

Anyone remember Fizzies? 120 Grape Fizzies in a two liter bottle may take a long time to blow, but they were very purple!

rdwj said:
I find one thing really strange - that SEEMS to be a residential area. Aren't there any adults around??? I know that in my neighborhood, if ANYTHING like that was going down, there would be a swarm of parents putting a stop to it.
And that's what's wrong with the world today. Can't kids just be kids and discover things? Yeah, someone needs to put a stop to it because it could do some property damage, but it seems like people look down so on kids who do things like that today. Kids do some stupid things, I know I did and have the scars to prove it, but you learn from doing those things.

My favorite was the coke can tennis ball launcher. However, baking soda and vinegar in a 2 liter were a lot of fun also.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Yeah, someone needs to put a stop to it because it could do some property damage....

Um, no - someone needs to put a stop to it because someone can get seriously injured or killed. Experimenting and figuring things is one thing, building explosives and having TWO close calls is another.

I love the fact that the kid at the end wasn't freaked out, he was all "DID YOU GET THAT?!"

Pisser is that I'm only going to have one or two kids, if he doesn't kill himself he'll probably have three or four. :(

rdwj said:
Um, no - someone needs to put a stop to it because someone can get seriously injured or killed. Experimenting and figuring things is one thing, building explosives and having TWO close calls is another.

With dry ice in a plastic bottle? Killed? I doubt it. Seriously injured? ummm, maybe, but I doubt that also. Looks like that one guy got hit straight in the head with that bucket and he seems to be OK. Maybe a learning bump or something, but that's all.

Building explosives? Is that a bad thing? Would we be able to mine without explosives? Would we be able to drive on many of the roads we drive on without explosives?

With dry ice in a plastic bottle? Killed? I doubt it. Seriously injured? ummm, maybe, but I doubt that also. Looks like that one guy got hit straight in the head with that bucket and he seems to be OK. Maybe a learning bump or something, but that's all.

Building explosives? Is that a bad thing? Would we be able to mine without explosives? Would we be able to drive on many of the roads we drive on without explosives?

Well, you let your kids play with explosives then. I'll keep a close eyes on mine and hope you don't move in next door.

I have to agree with BillyBrew here. Ive made many similar bombs back in my high school days, also some that were a little more destructive. Most of these were detonated (or attempted to be detonated) in fields or parking lots though, not in streets by parked cars and houses. Its all part of a learning experience.

- magno

It's called Natural Selection

People that dumb deserve whatever happens to them in hopes that they will not reproduce.

My brother and I and numerous other neighborhood heathens had regular bottle rocket wars during the summer. I remember front porches littered with bottle rocket debris.

And we all survived with our eyes and fingers intact, and no disfiguring burns...

I'd be more worried about one of the buckets those kids were launching going thru a front windshield of one of the cars that were parked in the street....

Ize

magno said:
I have to agree with BillyBrew here. Ive made many similar bombs back in my high school days, also some that were a little more destructive. Most of these were detonated (or attempted to be detonated) in fields or parking lots though, not in streets by parked cars and houses. Its all part of a learning experience.

- magno

... a little?! a LITTLE?! Dan, you made black holes all in the green belt I'm sure!

This is Magno's "SWMBO" and I would just like to say that I am very WORRIED about being his baby mama =). He forgot to mention that one time, he and his friend started a fire that wouldn't die out and just left it there and just watched the news all day to make sure that there weren't any large forest fires in his subdivision. Dan was very naughty back in the day and I'm sure that when our children come of (bomb making) age, he will know all their tricks. I just hope he doesn't try to help or give hints.

--Vivian

(learning experience, my ass)

Ize said:
I'd be more worried about one of the buckets those kids were launching going thru a front windshield of one of the cars that were parked in the street....

Ize

And don't get me wrong, there'd still be an @ssbeating coming for my kids should that happen! Learn to be discreet.;)

magno said:
This is Magno's "SWMBO"

mike-myers-wtf.jpg

Magno forgot to log out :)

And don't get me wrong, there'd still be an @ssbeating coming for my kids should that happen! Learn to be discreet.;)

Oh yeah, If I would have rebounded one of those buckets off of Mom's Caddy, I would have left town for a week until the old man cooled down. :p

In perpective, I'm not so worried about my older son doing that kind of crap... Not the type of personality... On the other hand, MY 2 year old? I'm SO SCREWED, I just know it from the gleam in that kids' eye...

Ize

Ize said:
Oh yeah, If I would have rebounded one of those buckets off of Mom's Caddy, I would have left town for a week until the old man cooled down. :p

In perpective, I'm not so worried about my older son doing that kind of crap... Not the type of personality... On the other hand, MY 2 year old? I'm SO SCREWED, I just know it from the gleam in that kids' eye...

Ize

You're going to know the principal very well, it looks like. He seems to be taking a lot of pleasure in spraying you down.

I remember way back when we made CO2 bottle bombs. The tourists used to get drunk off of minibottles in their hotel fridge and huck em into the field behind our house. One day we were making 'grenades' with them with dry ice and water. Well, there was one time that my brother added too much water and too much dry ice. He got the lid screwed on, and was about to fling it out into the open field when I heard/felt the explosion of the bottle in his hand! He didn't lose his hand, but it swelled up like a balloon, his palm was purple with bruising for a loooong time. I still have a little bit of partial hearing loss in my right ear it was so loud.

Yes, we still made bottle bombs after that.

i dont know how many times my brother would make "bombs" with cleaning fluid and 2 liter bottles and let them go in the field next to the house.. i think now id never want my kid doing that..but dang it was fun back then..

we are just lucky we never caught the field on fire!

Never made bombs, but my pops was never afraid to make a torch with a spray can of starter fluid. He was a wonderful influence. :D

Incidentally, trying to burn a wasp nest, with the wasps inside, using such a device? Generally not a very good idea. Just FYI.

You're going to know the principal very well, it looks like. He seems to be taking a lot of pleasure in spraying you down.

Oh yeah.... this one is all about attitude. Gets it from his mother.... and SHE knows it... :D

Ize

Back