i messed up and need advice on priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doogiem

Reaction score
I forgot to mix my priming sugar with boiling water prior to bulk priming. I have very little carbonation after a couple weeks. Can I salvage this batch - it tastes great, but sure needs carbonation! Is it OK to go ahead and add more priming sugar (this time mixed in water) to the bottles - albeit not too much to each bottle?

You didn't put in any sugar? I wouldn't try to put priming sugar into each bottle, but you can get some of those tablets. Way easier to keep track of carbonation in each bottle

Don't do anything for at least 6 weeks! Full carbonation takes about 3 weeks, stored at 70°, but it can take longer. If you add more sugar you can very well make bottle bombs. We really don't like our new members hurt by flying shrapnel.

Welcome to HBT!

thanks for the quick response! i did add the right amount (dextrose) in bulk as I bottled - just didn't mix it with water first so not sure it is working as well as it should.

You may have 49 flat bottles and six bottles (the last ones you bottled) that will be bombs.

Back