So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
94015C0E-0502-4538-A4FC-A416CF3ABBF1.jpeg
I brewed an IPA using Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial. In other news, I cranked out an 80% brewhouse efficiency for the first time! I’m usually much lower than that.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to brew up another batch of what I'm now calling the 'house' lager. Straight two row, with crystal & chinook hops for bittering and crystal for flavor/aroma. The last one is divine, and I want to keep it in the pipeline. Also going to keg up one of the two 5g batches of dark lager I've got going in order to pitch on the yeast cake; yes, maybe stupid, but this yeast has not done me wrong yet in 6 generations. No esters, no off flavors, just darn good tasty beer. The dark is essentially done with primary and can finish lagering in the keg. There's enough in kegs right now to drink so I can keep this one in the fermenter for 2 weeks. Getting cold up here in the great PNW, so will ferment this one a bit colder at 56-58 and see what happens.

IMG_6627.JPG

Brewing a XXIPA today.
Started brewing later than planned since our water heater broke this morning so 4 hours later and a few trips to Home Depot a new water heater was up and running and I then started brewing. So far so good! Cheers

Surprise brew day! Was supposed to work at the brewery today but the boss has to cover at his job, and I can't run the system by myself...so since I don't have an IPA on tap right now (horrors!) decided to fit in a quick brew. 12lbs two row, 1lb crystal 40, are in the tun right now. Going to bitter with some Chinook, and do late additions with a mix of Chinook, Crystal, and Amarillo. Tried a true hopstand at 180 yesterday for the first time, will do it again today. No room in the ferment fridge with a lager going at 54, so this one will ferment in the house in a swamp cooler for the first time in ages. Late start but can watch NFL Red zone on the laptop out here and be done in time for the Hawks game at 1:25. Happy Sunday!

Running the wort chiller on my Traditional Smoked Porter.

Going to be an interesting batch, I had 2/3-3/4 Gallon of a 12-14% Barley Wine that had only been fermenting for 1 week that I needed some space for...so, I am putting the Porter on top of the Barley Wine and its yeast in order to see what happens.

WTH, it'll be beer, right?

Worked hard at the brewery today turning out a Coffee Brown and an Oatmeal Stout, helping to teach the boss' daughter about brewing...got enough done to earn a day off tomorrow to brew up another batch of WF lager at home with some Tettnanger hops to come close to a "traditional" lager. Although I'm enjoying some wheat IPA right now that might just preclude me getting up in time to brew.....

Not this weekend, but Monday morning I'll be doing 10 gallons of a session IPA that I've been working on the recipe for. Aiming for a similar flavor to Founders All day IPA. With my own twist on it of course.

Ever since I switched to all grain, all I want to do is brew all the time. I got two more kegs to fill, so this oughta do it. [emoji106][emoji51]

Brewed up an IPA using homegrown hops - 1oz+ of Newport for bittering, and 2oz Cascade each at 10 min and whirlpool. Planning on dryhopping with another 2oz in a couple weeks.
First time brewing with new induction burner and 10gal kettle - both worked nicely, but I'm going to have to work out ventilation in the basement I keep them in, and figure something to keep my cooling hoses aimed into the slop sink down there.
Also, more importantly, my volume and numbers weren't quite where I wanted them to be - ended up way short of usual, plus lower OG. trying to figure out what happened there.
On top of that, made up a batch of mead last week, so did a nutrient addition yesterday, plus opened one of my newest sour. Russian River Consecration clone (at least the base) aged on tart cherries and run-soaked barrel chunks instead of the black currents and wine staves of the original. To say I'm happy with that one is an understatement. :)

Galaxy/Idaho 7 IPA.

Decided to go with a pilsner malt. No reason. got a bag and want to see what it has to offer in lighter ales. Also found out that my WLP400 was dead (was going to do Belgian) so used my Omega DIPA

8.71 lb pilsner
2.49 lb red wheat
0.5 lb flaked oats
.25 lb carapils (getting rid of it)
1 oz acid malt.

20 Min protein rest for pils and oats.
90 min boil

0.5 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz cascade, Idaho 7 and 1 oz orange zest @ 5
1 oz galaxy @ 2

whirlpool (170F for 10 min)
1 oz each galaxy, idaho 7, mosaic

Should be lighter on the IBU and fairly refreshing. Tired of palate fatigue. I want a hoppy drinker.

Pre-boil gravity sample.......

20181118_123345.jpg

Last edited:
It feels like this Sunday will be the last day for a few weeks I will be able to do a brew-day. I could brew a Galaxy SMaSH to compare to my Mosaic SMaSH, or maybe something a little more seasonal. I am not sure, to the recipe section!

Planning to brew an IPA with Citra and Mosaic this Sunday (after everyone goes back home!). Looking forward to a light, hoppy beer, as all I have in the Cupboard Under the Stairs is Red Rye, Stout, and a Porter that isn't ready yet.

I've got a porter grain bill on deck for Saturday. Probably split it and put half on chili's and leave the other half unadulterated.

Planning to brew an IPA with Citra and Mosaic this Sunday (after everyone goes back home!). Looking forward to a light, hoppy beer, as all I have in the Cupboard Under the Stairs is Red Rye, Stout, and a Porter that isn't ready yet.
Those hops play nicely together. Kegging a DIPA with the same combo tomorrow.

Third SMaSH beer in a row coming up this weekend, Golden Promise and EKG. I'll call it a golden ale and it should be ready in time for the summer i'm hoping we have. I should really change things up and brew something that's not a SMaSH but this is turning out to be interesting.

Finally getting around to brewing the holiday ale I should have done 3 weeks ago. 12lbs two row, 2lbs special b, and 1lb crystal 40 are giving a great color if a disappointing SG of 1.045 (I have GOT to figure out this damn efficiency issue). 1 gallon on the induction burner in the house boiling down for a reduction, and spices ground up to add at 15 minutes (cloves, allspice, and a big dollop of pumpkin pie spice). Going to make a "spice bottle" of same with Cap'n Morgans to add after 7 days as well. Smells awesome in the brewery right now.

Today I brewed a Belgian Blonde Ale. I used abbey malt in the grain bill as I really like the flavor it gives, especially with the WY3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast. Smooth brew day, hit all my numbers and it was 78 degrees on the back lanai! Great way to cap a holiday weekend!

John

Made a batch of lager: 20# pils, 1 oz N brewer FW, 1 oz Amarillo last 20 min boil, 1 oz Willamette leaf post boil. 11 gallons in fermentor, Safelager S 189, SG 1.059.

Back