Need help with plugged keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I kegged an ESB about a month ago. Right away I could see that there were pour problems. At one point, nothing would come out. Thinking it might be sediment, I reversed the air line and turned on the pressure. It worked and the beer poured fine - for about 2 days. Now it is back again dribbling. Since it is carbed up, I really can't put it in another keg. Is there anything I can do other than keep blowing out the pickup?

Well, you could x-fer to another keg by rigging a x-fer line with 2 liquid disconnects. It's not that hard and if you puit a layer of CO2 into the x-fer keg you shouldn;t have any risk of oxidation.

Sounds like you need to let your Primary clear a bit longer before you go to keg..

De-pressurize, pull your 'out' dip tube (cover post with saran wrap or something sanitary), unclog, sanitize, and put it back in. There is risk of contamination, but as long as you're careful you should be ok. Depending on how much trub, you will hopefully pull most of it out without clogging it again. I'd try not to move the keg around too much, so the trub stays at the bottom...

De-pressurize, pull your 'out' dip tube (cover post with saran wrap or something sanitary), unclog, sanitize, and put it back in. There is risk of contamination, but as long as you're careful you should be ok. Depending on how much trub, you will hopefully pull most of it out without clogging it again. I'd try not to move the keg around too much, so the trub stays at the bottom...

I just did that and it worked! I also saw that there was a lot of crap all the way up the tub and into the out valve. The next few beers are going to be sediment heavy but what a difference!

Thanks!

If you have that kind of problems all the time
You could bend the tip of the dip tube up a bit
Or cut it off a bit.
I dont recommend it
I say put less trub in your beer and solve the problem and get better beer

If you have that kind of problems all the time
You could bend the tip of the dip tube up a bit
Or cut it off a bit.
I dont recommend it
I say put less trub in your beer and solve the problem and get better beer

I also don't recommend the cutting of dip tubes- it's inhumane! Are you siphoning from secondary fermenter to keg and force carbing? if so, I'd look at crash cooling your secondary to settle the trub before transfering, and/or look at a muslin bag or something to help cut back on the trub (there are a few threads on ideas about this)...

Glad it worked out for you! I had to do pretty much the same thing when I was transferring a double IPA dry hopping in keg to a serving keg (sure screen on the dip tube did a pretty good job at filtering out the pellet trub, but enough got through to clog it).

I also don't recommend the cutting of dip tubes- it's inhumane! Are you siphoning from secondary fermenter to keg and force carbing? if so, I'd look at crash cooling your secondary to settle the trub before transfering, and/or look at a muslin bag or something to help cut back on the trub (there are a few threads on ideas about this)...

Glad it worked out for you! I had to do pretty much the same thing when I was transferring a double IPA dry hopping in keg to a serving keg (sure screen on the dip tube did a pretty good job at filtering out the pellet trub, but enough got through to clog it).

This is the first time this has happened. For some reason, this beer had a lot of leaf hops floating around in it. The container got jostled some when I was transferring it AND I had my wife hold the siphon for a minute while I was doing something and she let it hit the bottom. :mad: Usually I hold it the whole time and keep it to where it won't pick up anything.

Haha, every brew day is a little different; Just wanted to throw some suggestions out there :) Cheers :tank:!

Back