Boom-Boom vanilla overpowering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all - I just cracked open a 1-week-old bottle of Cheesefood's famous Caramel Cream Ale (aka "Boom Boom") and the initial taste was REALLY overpowering with vanilla. I used the original recipe of 2oz in the primary and 4oz in the priming mix. Fermentation was excellent, no other indications of 'off' flavors, but definitely not ready for prime time. Have others found that the vanilla taste diminishes/mellows over time? I can't imagine anyone would like vanilla that much :cross:

skifast1 said:
Hi all - I just cracked open a 1-week-old bottle of Cheesefood's famous Caramel Cream Ale (aka "Boom Boom") and the initial taste was REALLY overpowering with vanilla. I used the original recipe of 2oz in the primary and 4oz in the priming mix. Fermentation was excellent, no other indications of 'off' flavors, but definitely not ready for prime time. Have others found that the vanilla taste diminishes/mellows over time? I can't imagine anyone would like vanilla that much :cross:

It will definitely diminish. I guess some brands of vanilla must be more potent than others. Then again, I *really* like the taste of vanilla.

How long has it been bottled? In a few weeks the flavor should substantially die down.

Cheesefood said:
It will definitely diminish. I guess some brands of vanilla must be more potent than others. Then again, I *really* like the taste of vanilla.

How long has it been bottled? In a few weeks the flavor should substantially die down.

It was just about 6 days in the bottle, so I was being impatient (as usual). I really like vanilla as well, but this was more than just a matter of taste. I'll be curious to see where it 'settles' in the next month so I can adjust for the next batch! :)

P.S. Love the avatars!

The vanilla "influence" definitely diminishes over the weeks and really balances nicely.

I made this one and had the same reaction as you. I let it sit for about two months since people said it would mellow out. After two months I dumped it. It was nasty. I may never add vanilla extract to a brew again, but if I do, never more then 2 oz.

I used 1 oz total. You can barely taste it at all. I think next go around, I'll use 2 maybe 2 1/2

I made a vanilla stout last year. It was very tasty and really strong but very vanilla...ey. Too damned vanillaey ! I'd wake up the next morning tasting vanilla. It is definately on my list of things never to brew with again!

Well, it's been a little over 2 weeks since bottling and the initial taste has mellowed considerably, with a lot less overpowering sweetness. The aftertaste is still a bit harsh, but I expect this will subside as well in a couple of weeks. Looking better!

I think that it should be stated that the amount of vanilla to use is variable, dependent on strength and desired taste. I used store-brand REAL vanilla extract the first time and real bourbon vanilla extract ($6.95 for 16 oz at Costco) the second time.

I assume some of the imitations can be more unpredictable, just as other brands can be. Finally, it has to be reinforced that the recipe I created was intended to taste like vanilla. It's the main flavor, not a hidden after taste.

I've made a note about the amount of vanilla to use on the original recipe for anyone else who's interested in brewing this.

Cheesefood said:
I think that it should be stated that the amount of vanilla to use is variable, dependent on strength and desired taste.....I assume some of the imitations can be more unpredictable, just as other brands can be. Finally, it has to be reinforced that the recipe I created was intended to taste like vanilla. It's the main flavor, not a hidden after taste.

Points very well taken, and please don't take my comments as criticism of the recipe - in fact it's becoming quite delicious ;) I was wondering how the hops would combine with the vanilla, and it really is a good balance. If anything, my comments about the initial overpowering vanilla should be a reinforcement for fellow newbies to RDWHAHB and let the damn stuff age properly. Fortunately, I have all but 2 bottles left in the batch, so I plan to enjoy the rest throughout the summer.

For posterity's sake, I used Jewel-brand real vanilla in the original recipe's proportions (2 oz primary, 4 oz priming). Regardless of how well this batch balances out, I'm eager to try your other version - count me as a fan!

Back