sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experimented with adding sugar to the primary fermenter. I plan to add 1/2 lb. light brown sugar to my primary on the second day of fermentation.

Just wondering if anyone here has experimented with adding sugar (e.i. light brown sugar) into the primary after fermentation has started like one to two days into fermentation. I want to try this out but not sure how. I know I have to dissolve the sugar in 2 cups boiling water but then what? Do I let it cool down before adding?

Just wondering if anyone here has experimented with adding sugar (e.i. light brown sugar) into the primary after fermentation has started like one to two days into fermentation. I want to try this out but not sure how. I know I have to dissolve the sugar in 2 cups boiling water but then what? Do I let it cool down before adding?

I would boil the water and the sugar and then let it cool. You don't want hot water going into the fermenter. Temp swings and the heat could mess with the yeast.

Do I have to remove the lid of my fermenter or can I just pour it in using a funnel through the airlock hole on the lid?

I plan on doing that myself soon. I read somewhere that you can get better results starting with less sugar then adding it a few days in. I wish i could rember where I read that, sorry. I guess it works by starving the yeast some and making it stronger. It might have been here The Winemaking Home Page but im not sure.

If I find it I will repost.

matt b

Do I have to remove the lid of my fermenter or can I just pour it in using a funnel through the airlock hole on the lid?

Doesn't matter. For ease of doing, and not needing to sanitize a funnel, I'd just open the lid, pour in the cooled solution, and close it up.

Never done it, but in general, I've had poor luck with brown sugar. Maybe it's just my bad luck though. Molasses and candy sugar have worked well for me, brown sugar not so much. :confused:

Evan! made a super stout that required multiple feedings of sugar and dme. Research it in the recipes: Meph Stout, or try searching Meph project. I plan to do the same on a big barleywine: 1/2 lb turbinado and 1/2 lb dme, then 1/2 lb sucanat and 1/2 lb dme, finally, 1/2 lb dme and 1/4 corn sugar with 1/4 lb honey...if the yeast are still alive!!

Back