Northern Brewer...kinda dissapointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recieved my two rhyzomes today from Northern brewer. I am kinda dissapointed. My one rhyzome looks good but the other loos like a stick! The instruction say to plant it with the roots down, and the white buds up. This Stick has no roots or buds. Did i get screwed? How should I plant it??

Also it will be a couple days til I can plant/ I just threw the in the fridge. That's okay right?

No I think that is kind of common, I bought 6 rhizomes this year from two different places and I had a twig as well.

IrregularPulse said:
IMy one rhyzome looks good but the other loos like a stick! The instruction say to plant it with the roots down, and the white buds up. This Stick has no roots or buds.

Also it will be a couple days til I can plant/ I just threw the in the fridge. That's okay right?

Yah - They don't look like much but they will grow like a mutha when you get them in some dirt.

I planted mine horizontal in a pile of loose black dirt then covered the mound w/ bark mulch.

Mine are starting to come up now ~ 3" tall and they are looking very healthy. They are about the diameter of a ordinary ball point pen!!!

If the weather turns around they will be growing really fast.

You need to get them in dirt ASAP and water regularly!!!

I wasnt happy with mine from Northern either. I got 2 cascade, 2 centenial, and 2 goldings. the centinial and goldings looked like dead sticks. The cascades looked okay but they had centipedes living on them.

I bought (6) from Midwest and they are all pretty plump... and all arrived with about 1/4"- 1" of growth on them... I was really surprised. I swear by Midwest for my supplies.

i got four from NB, two mt. hood, a centennial and a cascade. the cascade had some roots, and one of the mt. hood did, but the rest did indeed look like twigs. i planted em the next day in some composted steer manure, and they have been in the ground for a week. no growth yet, but i feel like that should be normal. luckily my new house had a sprinkler system built in, so watering isn't really an issue.

You people make me sick! All this talk about how big your hops are already! Were expecting a frost this coming week. "Luckily" I dont have any rhizomes yet to freeze.

Freshops came through, mine all arrived (4 rhizomes, Magnum, Cascade, Mt. Hood, and Hallertauer) with growth less than 10 days after my order, I would highly recommend them. :mug:

I am waiting to plant them in case of another forst. (supposed to snow this weekend, but don't it's going to now) What's the maximum they'll be ok in the fridge?

I planted 4 rhizomes from Freshops last year, atleast 2 of them looked no better than sticks. All of the rhizomes grew well despite the early drought last summer and the lack of attention from me (ie watering).
Plant them in the ground horizontal about 2" down on the rhizome will figure out which way is up. On the ones I planted I could not tell what side was up an any of them.
I think if you can dig the ground, you can plant the hops. They are pretty hardy and vigorous.

Craig

IrregularPulse said:
I recieved my two rhyzomes today from Northern brewer. I am kinda dissapointed. My one rhyzome looks good but the other loos like a stick! The instruction say to plant it with the roots down, and the white buds up. This Stick has no roots or buds. Did i get screwed? How should I plant it??

I ordered from NB but the pkg came from freshhops. The cascade looked nice and is about 4" tall now. The goldings was a stick and has not sprouted yet.

You don't need to worry about frost with hops... they live through it every year and send up sprouts before the last frost and do just fine. I planted mine 2 weeks ago (Chicago area) and I'm not worried about them, the Williamette is above ground, the rest are biding their time

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
You people make me sick! All this talk about how big your hops are already! Were expecting a frost this coming week. "Luckily" I dont have any rhizomes yet to freeze.

I mentioned mine are doing well however I failed to state that they have been in the ground for 2 years going on 3.

If you really baby them in year one they will grow vigorously almost to the point that you have to dig up the shoots or mow them down to keep them from taking over.

Mine are expanding so much that I could triple my yield this year.

:fro:

I think the stick thing is a vine propagation rather than an actual rhizome. I recieved the same thing from Freshops via NB a couple weeks ago and stored them in the fridge. When I went to pot them today, each of them had roots showing. I'm not worried in the least.:ban:

fratermus said:
I ordered from NB but the pkg came from freshhops. The cascade looked nice and is about 4" tall now. The goldings was a stick and has not sprouted yet.

Yes NB gets them from FH. I have rain whenever I can plant!!!!! Frekin storms!

Freshops seemed to have the best of the 3 different
places I got mine.
Midwest had the worst mold on them...nearly 20 of
them were spotted, and I'm not sure what's to happen
with them....no activity yet, and it's warm here in Va.

My freshops had a white mold stuff on them, and it ended up on the soil after planting. Two of the small sprouts turned mushy and died. However, someon suggested overwatering, and so I quit watering for now. The remaining sprouts in that pot seem to be doing fine now, so maybe that was it.

Note, freshops offered to replace my rhyzomes, so they are doing good customer service for me. I have no complaints.

Well the Northern Brewer cascade and Goldings have sprouted in less than a week for me. I was really worried about the Goldings sense they looked like stick at best. The centinial have yet to sprout but with 4 out of 6 growing I am confident that they will begin to show some activity in the next week or so.

I also sprinkeld them with rootone before i planted them cause they had no roots at all.

Back