Dumb Question - Tao Of Steve (movie) motorcycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a photo?

Edit- I watched the trailer on youtube, It appears to be a late 70s-early 80's honda CB750 or 550... but I could be wrong, most of the jap iron of that peroid looked very similar.

(from the movie poster showing only a small portion of front of motorcycle)
Handlebar style and squarish headlight seems to point in the direction of an early 70's Honda Dream, the 305 perhaps..?

I was unsuccesfull in finding a full pic form the movie. Do you have such?

If this is important I can ask my vintage racing buddies of mine.

EDIT: how about this one:
www.bikepics.com/pictures/899332/

It depends on which bike you are talking about.

The picture that you click on for the first trailer on IMDB could definitely be a Honda Dream.

About 19 seconds into the first trailer you see another bike. Which he is also shown working on later in the trailer. This bike is definitely a 79-80-ish Honda CB 550- or 650

Here are the pics.

hondadream.jpg

honda.jpg

Her bike (the one in the smaller pic to the left) has been confirmed by many to be a dream.

I am specifically looking at the bigger picture on the right and his bike. I'll look at the CB550/650 angle and see if i can find that as well.

One of the things I did notice is that the 550 in some of the pics had flat handlebars, where as bigger bikes seemed to have the U shape bars that this pic shows. I'm not sure if that's just people restoring them with different bars..

Interestingly enough, one of the parts of the movie is that the 'Steve' referenced is a nod to Steve McQueen, and his bike does look (at least from the side shots I remember from the movie) like a mid 60's Triumph which would be a nod to 2 of McQueen's movies.

Edit: Nevermind on the whole triumph thing - I noticed that most of those triumphs had front springs very visibile at the top of the forks, while the pic above does not show those springs at all. The turn signal pattern is also way off for a triumph. Interestingly, when he was working on the side of the bike, I swear it looks more like the Triumph than the Honda.

I've been looking at a lot of pics of 70s/80s CBs and I can't find anything that matches. The springs on the front forks are much different (ie: all the pics I can find of a 550 or 650 show springs above the tire, whereas the picture above shows springs at tire level and lower).

750s seem to have lower springs, but I haven't been able to find better pics of the bike in the movie to check other bits. Does it look like a 750 bike to any of you?

Back