Need Batch Sparging Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
I am just about to batch sparge, and would like some input on the temperature of the first addition of water to bring up my run off volume up to 1/2 my total batch size.

1) What temp should the water be that I add for the first addition?

2) When I am done running off the first volume of water, what temp should the water be for the second round?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:mug:

Using one of the many software programs out there will help you calculate exactly what temp you need to add. It depends on the temp of the mash, how much grain and water is already in there and what temp you want to end at. The best sugar solubility is at 168 so you'd probably shoot for that rest temp. The sparge would be exactly 168 assuming you hit it right with the mashout.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html
Read that section of Palmer's book, it will explain what you need to know and the equations to do so, I just set up a quick little excel spread sheet to do the math, I can email it to you if you want.

I shoot for an initial mash temp of 153 F, so for 10 lbs of grain and 12 quarts of water, the water needs to be 166 F (assuming an inital grain temp of 75 F).

For mash out, I add as much boiling water as my 5 gallon cooler will hold to raise the temp as close to 170 F as possible (you don't want to go over that to avoid extracting tannens). As my cooler will only hold about another gallon, the equations say my water needs to be 230 F to get the temp up to 170, so obviously I'm not going to get there but that's no big deal. For my second runnings I just add 170 F water.

Back