Driving with fermented beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
I have some beer in a secondary that I want to give to a friend to keg. Chance of oxidizing on the way? Its only a 10 minute or so drive. Any suggestions?

Not a bad point and I didn't even consider that. It would be really odd explaining to the officer what it was. It would probably be the strangest case the judge heard all day too.

Just drive slowly/gently. It's a small headspace and will be mostly filled with CO2 anyway.

The odds of getting a summonsed/arrested for carrying bulk-packaged fermenting alcohol are slim to none. If you did get pulled over, tell the officer the truth: it's a carboy/bucket full of fermenting homebrew. Or just say its a science experiment.

No problem. Put it in the car, don't forget the seatbelt, and take that brew for a ride.

I have heard that transporting homebrew is illegal, no matter what kind of container it's in. However, I have never heard of anyone getting arrested for it, and I have made many trips to the midwest with several gallons of homebrew without a problem. So, with that being said, your mileage may vary. (Pun intended.)

I also like boo boo's idea.

homebeerbrewer said:
I have heard that transporting homebrew is illegal, no matter what kind of container it's in. However, I have never heard of anyone getting arrested for it, and I have made many trips to the midwest with several gallons of homebrew without a problem. So, with that being said, your mileage may vary. (Pun intended.)

I also like boo boo's idea.

It depends on the state

in theory if it's in primary the headspace should be full of Co2... there should be nothing to worry about other then stiring up and having to wait longer for the beer to clear... Otherwise even in secondary carboy, if filled right up to the top there is minimal worry.. i've transfered several 5Gal batches of red wine in a carboy for a 400km drive to my parent's place and had no issue...

Back