Let the upgrades begin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
I just snagged a sweet new (to me) Beverage Air kegerator manufactured who-knows-how long ago (it's painted a lovely muted brown). I just checked interior dimensions and this thing will hold 3 Cornies, the CO2 tank, and room to spare.

It's so great! Time now for me to replace the tower with a 3-tap version and some sweet shirron faucets.

It's got an all-stainless top, 4 beefy casters on the bottom, and a built-in drip tray with internal catch.

Best of all, I can turn around and sell the sanke tap, turn the empty pony keg into a keggle, and maybe sell the tower, though that's not worth much.

This is ideal. My summer just began, work just turned "voluntary", sorta, and I have a little extra money to play for the next month or two.

Totally awesome.

Sorry for the selfish thread, I had to gloat just a little.

kvh

kvh said:
I just snagged a sweet new (to me) Beverage Air kegerator manufactured who-knows-how long ago (it's painted a lovely muted brown). I just checked interior dimensions and this thing will hold 3 Cornies, the CO2 tank, and room to spare.

It's so great! Time now for me to replace the tower with a 3-tap version and some sweet shirron faucets.

It's got an all-stainless top, 4 beefy casters on the bottom, and a built-in drip tray with internal catch.

Best of all, I can turn around and sell the sanke tap, turn the empty pony keg into a keggle, and maybe sell the tower, though that's not worth much.

This is ideal. My summer just began, work just turned "voluntary", sorta, and I have a little extra money to play for the next month or two.

Totally awesome.

Sorry for the selfish thread, I had to gloat just a little.

kvh

Sounds like mine! I had to cut the ceiling out and pull out the insulation to get the corny's to fit. I need to put some foam on top now to better insulate it, and build a draft tower.

UPDATE:

So the top of my kegerator is stainless. Sweet. Inside, the floor is too, awesome.

However, the internal drip-tray (around the cooling fins, inside top), the walls, and the ceiling are all galvanized. And, as near as I can tell, it was never used on a level surface, causing the drip-tray to rust through on the bottom, and the interior walls to corrode (white corrosion) and begin to rust in corners.

I dismantled the whole thing yesterday evening, except for the cooling system which I'd rather not mess with. I brought the drip tray and ceiling of the unit into work today to grind down, patch, and enamel. They need it, and without sealing those, the insulation will continue to rot and the cooling system will start this mess all over again.

I'm finding that the price I paid for this was a little high, but I DO get the satisfaction of bringing this thing back from the dead for a higher calling than pumping pony kegs of Bush.

Question:

If I sand (removing corrosion), prime, and enamel the interior walls, is there any reason it would cause problems down the road? I can detach the cooling fins, which are connected to the top back with 2 screws, and mask it off where necessary, and probably get 2 coats on the thing in a day. None of the cooling lines are located in the wall...

Problems??

Thanks.
kvh

Sorry for the endless questions - I'm building my supply list to finish converting this thing (mostly just bringing it back to life).

Here's where I stand:

Just ordered:

3 regulators from American Science and Surplus

Need soon:

3 gages, probably the 0-15 and 0-30 gages from McMaster, #3941K53
3 elbow shanaks - preferably SS and without barbs... My only source so far is micromatic, but they have barbs. Any better suggestions?
3 Shirron Faucets - probably from Northern Brewer
3 Kegs, probably from Brewer's Discount - I can refurb them myself...
O-rings and more O-rings, all from Mcmaster.

Tubing, replacement poppets, gas and beer line connectors, screw clamps, all from the LHBS

Any better sources on that stuff?

thx.

kvh

You're pretty well lined up on what and from who. I don't think barbs on the elbow shanks is an issue. Just use about 7 feet of hose, and chop back on the QD end if need be.

I it were me, I'd use a two part epoxy paint instead of just the typical 2 part enamel. I use epoxy on everything I paint for my boat. Tough as he!!.

Back