Pot size for 10+gal batches of BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicawal

Reaction score
Ok so I brew on the regular with my brew partner 10gal all grain batches. I'm looking to put together a BIAB setup at my house for those weeks when our schedules dont match up so I can still brew. So my question is what size pot are you guys using that are doing 10gal batches including those with larger grain bills. Some of the brews we make have 40lb grain bills and I would like to be able to recreate these. I've been looking at the bayou classic 82qt w/steamer basket but was also looking at the larger 102qt. I'm mostly looking to hear from guys that are currently doing these kind of batches but all info and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Wow. I haven't done a 10 gallon BIAB batch (yet), but I've done enough 5 gallon batches to have a pretty good feel. I used to brew in a 32 qt (8 gallon) pot and that was just big enough to do a 5 gallon 1.050 OG, full volume Aussie mash, with 1 gallon of boil down. Larger grain bills required me to top off after the boil. You could get away with a smaller BK if you do the dunk sparge method though.

I brew 10-12 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle. I would go with a 20 gallon kettle. When I do a 12 gallon batch my kettle is full. Hope this helps
:mug:

depends on how you're set up. Are you mashing in the full volume for the brew? Ie. you're putting all of the mash, sparge, and boiloff volume in one pot, heating to mash temp, adding grain, mashing, then pulling the bag out and boiling?

If you're doing this, I'd go big, like 20g. at least.

If you're mashing in one pot and dunk-sparging in another, you can go smaller, maybe 15g.

I mash in a cooler lined with voile, pull it out and dunk sparge in the BK (filled with sparge volume heated to sparge temp), then add first runnings to BK and boil. For 5g. I can do this in a 30qt. pot.

Thanks for the responses guys, I would like to mash in the full volume as I feel this is truly taking advantage of the BIAB method. So I guess it sounds like 20g or 25g is the way to go, maybe the 25g being the better choice just to be safe.

Are you planning on making a pulley system? With that much grain you obviously can't lift it by hand, even with 2 people it would be dangerous.

I brew 10 gallon batches on my own all the time. Things are a bit heavy, but I am a stronger than average guy.

I use have a 12.5 and a 20 gallon pot. Together it works great. I have a 52 quart mash tun that gets me up to 1.075 or so brews and another 48 quart mash tun so I can split up if I brew an higher gravity brews. But seriously, I don't need 10 gallons of beer stronger that 1.075. I keep 100-150 pounds of grain on hand, I have my own mill, 20 pounds of hops and yeast starters are always going...even before I know what I am making. When I decide to brew...I just do it!

I highly reccomend the 15 gallon glass demijons for fermenters. It's so handy.

I didn't want to be dependant on any 1 person or even my LHBS for my brewing, so I went on my own. It's great.

Im just looking to simplify a brew day by myself. That's why I'm looking for a single vessel. From what I've been reading I'll most likely be using a pulley to suspend and then squeeze the bag while it's in the steamer basket over the kettle. No pumps will be used as it seems guys who just drain and then dump the water back over the grains while mashing seem to have pretty consistent numbers.

Are you planning to brew high gravity beers? If yes, you may want to consider getting a 30 gallon kettle if you can.

Yes I am, that's why I was thinking probably go larger. I'm still hoping to hear from someone who does just that. 25g+ might be the way to go. If not I guess I could just brew 10g normal batches and scale down the high gravity ones to whatever will fit.

Have you decided on a kettle? I'm trying to decide between the 20 or 25 gallon bayou classics as well.

Okay, I'm curious, too. Still on the fence, but I'm headed towards 10 gallon BIAB batches and a 20 gallon kettle.

Just to let you all know what I decided on. I purchased the 82qt Bayou Classic kettle to do 10g BIAB batches. Installed my ball valve and sight glass this weekend. The 82qt kettle IS NOT a steam basket, it is a boil basket which means it sits flush on the bottom. In order to fit the basket in with the kettle I have to put feet on the bottom of the basket, which has 4 indents for. I am headed to HD today to pickup the hardware for this. The smaller 62 qt kettle has a steam basket design, but I do not feel it is big enough for 13gallons of water AND the 10 gallon grain bills.

Hey guys, sorry I missed these posts and haven't been on here in awhile. I took a small break from brewing as life was in the way, but I'm back. I've brewed a few 8gal batches with about 25lb grain bills in the keggle doing BIAB in the last week but I acquired a large 102qt king cooker with steam basket and lid off of overstock.com for a pretty good price. I haven't converted it yet but am going to order the stuff and do it shortly. I'm guessing with me being able to do the size batches I've been doing in the keggle recently I should have no problem doing larger 10-15g batches.

Seven said:
Are you planning to brew high gravity beers? If yes, you may want to consider getting a 30 gallon kettle if you can.

+1 here. I brew some big 5 gallon beers in my 15 gallon keggle and it just fits. So, if you can go to a 30 gallon, I would to be safe.

+1 here. I brew some big 5 gallon beers in my 15 gallon keggle and it just fits. So, if you can go to a 30 gallon, I would to be safe.

I'm planning on a 20 gallon kettle and was hoping I would be able to do double batches of big beers. Maybe I could somehow incorporate a smaller pot for whatever won't fit in the 20 gallon. Or maybe it will just barely fit and I could use fermcap if needed. How many lbs. of grain do you use for the big 5 gallon beers?

DaBills said:
I'm planning on a 20 gallon kettle and was hoping I would be able to do double batches of big beers. Maybe I could somehow incorporate a smaller pot for whatever won't fit in the 20 gallon. Or maybe it will just barely fit and I could use fermcap if needed. How many lbs. of grain do you use for the big 5 gallon beers?

Rough idea is that 1.100 OG beer with 20 lbs of grain would need 8.5-9 gallons of water for me. Depending on your kettle/keggle dimensions your boil off could be different.

Latest posts

Back