Trying first extract recipie,unsure of what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abatchaweek

Reaction score
Hello I am a kit brewer but wanted to try extract because I got some cheap liquid extract.

The ingredients I have are: (Sorry for metric)

4.5kg LME
2kg Dextrose (I know I know :)
100g fuggles 5.6%
Some generic yeast.

10 litre pot.

I usually make 1 batch and split into 2 fermenters.My plan was something like this..

Boil up 0.680 kg malt with 5.6 litres water (using the 1 lb to 1 gal ratio I saw somewhere) and whack some hops in there.

Use maybe.

60g for 60minutes
20 at 25
10 at 5
10 at 1
Nothing left for dry hop :(.

Beercalculus reakons 4.5% at 26.6 ibu.

Then chuck the rest of malt and sugar in late,split it into 2 fermenters and top up.Am I even close to making anything resembling beer,any advice or improvements? .I have a bad feeling my boil size (10l pot) and too much top up water will make this not work.Would it be better to do one batch at a time because of small pot size?

First off, the Metric. Come on! You know the world is changing over to Imperial measures! Get with the program!

So, after I have performed an online conversion of your antiquated amounts, I think that yes, you have a small brewpot. But I think you can work with it. After all, it's an experimental brew!

I'd go with no more than half of your extract in the boil kettle. With about 10-15 minutes left, turn off the flame and add the rest. It's a late extract addition.

Then I might mix the sugar (since you already know, comments about using sugar have been purposely omitted...) into about half of the top-off water. (still cold)

Add the sugar water and mix well, aerating as you go. Take a reading. Using an online calculator, you can then determine how much more water to add to reach your desired OG.

What size are your fermenters? If you have to split, then make sure you try to add the ingredients equally to both, and use the top off water to make any final adjustments.

Practically speaking, a larger brewpot and larger fermenter would make this much easier...

Back