Porter All Grain help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zip100473

Reaction score
Grain Bill...
8 lbs 2 row, 1.5 lbs C80, 1 lb Munich light, .5 lb Chocolate, .5 Flaked Oats, .25 lbs Black

Hop Schedule...
FWH .5 oz N. Brewer, 1 oz Kent Gold, 15 min Kent, 10 min Willamette, 1min kent, Dry hop Willamette 7 days

Advice? Is a 4% addition of flaked oats appropriate for style? I was hoping it would ad a nice silky mouth feel...

Thank you! :mug:

The grain bill is pretty good, I might back down the C80 somewhat.

Dry hop a porter? why? It's a porter, most of the flavor/aroma comes from the grains, not from the hops.

M_C

Grain Bill...
8 lbs 2 row, 1.5 lbs C80, 1 lb Munich light, .5 lb Chocolate, .5 Flaked Oats, .25 lbs Black

Hop Schedule...
FWH .5 oz N. Brewer, 1 oz Kent Gold, 15 min Kent, 10 min Willamette, 1min kent, Dry hop Willamette 7 days

Advice? Is a 4% addition of flaked oats appropriate for style? I was hoping it would ad a nice silky mouth feel...

Thank you! :mug:

This looks very similar to my porter, grain bill for that is;

6.5 American Two-row Pale

1.5 German Munich

1 American Crystal 80L

1 British Chocolate

0.5 CaraPils

0.5 Flaked Oats

Dry hop a porter? why? It's a porter, most of the flavor/aroma comes from the grains, not from the hops.

M_C

There is a brewpub here called Rock Bottom Brewery, and they have some "cask conditioned" dark beers that get a dry hop schedule. Sometimes they're porters - but they're always undrinkable.

I would avoid dry-hopping a porter, but that's just me.

certainly nothing wrong with dry hopping a porter if you want some hop aroma there, especially a robust porter. personally, I'd probably back the C80 down to 1lb, but its fine as is.

certainly nothing wrong with dry hopping a porter if you want some hop aroma there, especially a robust porter. personally, I'd probably back the C80 down to 1lb, but its fine as is.

Happy medium: Try a dry-hopped porter before you spend the money on ingredients to brew your own?

This is my first all grain. Dry hop GONE! Thank you. I will tail back the C80. Thanks for the info on the oats. Now the good lord willing I will have good efficiency and a tasty product!

Mash @ 154 and sparge at 170. Batch sparge.

Yeast? I was going to use Safale 04?

When I brewed my latest porter I added a cup of maltodextros, and 4 oz of lactos to increase smoothness. Saw the tweak on someone else's recipe and gave it a go. It came out fantastic, I'm down the the final six pack that I'm going to age a bit... If I can wait...

I didn't want some crazy milk porter so I only added a little bit of each, either way the nonfermentables helped smoothness/mouth feel. Ehhh.... Food for thought.

When I brewed my latest porter I added a cup of maltodextros, and 4 oz of lactos to increase smoothness. Saw the tweak on someone else's recipe and gave it a go. It came out fantastic, I'm down the the final six pack that I'm going to age a bit... If I can wait...

I didn't want some crazy milk porter so I only added a little bit of each, either way the nonfermentables helped smoothness/mouth feel. Ehhh.... Food for thought.

Interesting. This is my first all grain. So I may do this. Mad science! Did you add to first boil or late addition? Thanks.

Anyone have info on fermentis 04 versus 05? Im seeing differing opinions!

zip100473 said:
Interesting. This is my first all grain. So I may do this. Mad science! Did you add to first boil or late addition? Thanks.

Anyone have info on fermentis 04 versus 05? Im seeing differing opinions!

I would use the 05 to let the flavor focus on the grains.

I would also mash nice and low 152-154.

With all the specialty grains and oats I think you will end up with the nice silky mouthfeel you are aiming for.

Depends what you want out of the yeast. Personally I prefer a little bit of fruity esters in my porters so I'd go with S-04. If you don't want any esters, go with S-05.

I would use the 05 to let the flavor focus on the grains.

I would also mash nice and low 152-154.

With all the specialty grains and oats I think you will end up with the nice silky mouthfeel you are aiming for.

Plan to shoot for 154. I have US-05 so I may just rock that...:rockin:

i did a porter a while back, here's the bill just for your info (not trying to change your approach at all, what you have looks good)

6 lb pale 2-row
1 lb chocolate
1 lb brown malt
10 oz Caramel 120L
10 oz Victory
8 oz Flaked Barley

1 oz 8% aa Northern Brewer @ 60 min.

don't have my mash temps here, but i think i mashed at 154 for 60 min.

pitched some Notty i'd washed from a previous batch.

I personally like the english yeasts for porters, more to the historic style since they are english beers, but the above summary was good... US05 = clean, S04 = some potential estery-ness. You won't go wrong either way.

What you've got looks fine, as i said. I would only suggest maybe doing only a bittering addition to let more malt aroma prevail. Also maybe consider cutting down your C80 and the black malt, and letting more color come from brown or chocolate malts? I like to think of a porter as more of a Robust Brown ale (brown/chocolate malts), rather than a slightly-lighter-bodied stout (roast barley/black pattent).

I added them like 15 - 20 left in the boil.

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

I got the recipe off hbt. Came out great.

Latest posts

Back