Evaporation loss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeRad77

Reaction score
I just used my converted keg boil pot for the first time last night. I did a 90 minute boil, and put in 6.5 gallons of water, figuring I would maybe need to top of my carboy to get to six gallons at the end. I was a bit shocked when after 90 minutes I had 2.5 gallons of wort. Any suggestions on how to avoid the extreme loss to evaporation?

I've had something similar happen, it was real cold that night and was doing my final boil outside.

Started with 6.5 gallons thinking I would lose a gallon in a hour ended up losing 2.5 gallons.

Still made good beer though even though it was pretty strong, good thing it was an IPA.

not sure how you guys losing so much to evaporation. I brewed in -25C outside and never lost more than 1.5-2 gallons during 90 min boil. I'm always on target for my final volume and its been consistent

I'm not even sure the cold caused it, it could have been low humidity that night or I had my burner up way to high or something else...

I have no idea what caused me to loose so much to evaporation that night.I knew it wasn't normal... but I'll be damned if I can figure out what happened.

I was just saying, sometimes s*** happens

Back