Plastic bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elsmithfree

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've bottled a few batches in glass. Yes, it works and yes it's a PITA.

I'm in Hawaii, and finding good affordable bottles is tough. I'm thinking about picking up some plastic and giving it a try.

Any downside? taste? carbonation problems?

My flame suit is on. I know its kind of lame, but as far as ease and cost effectiveness, it may be my best way to go.

Opinions?

Thanks!

There's nothing wrong with it if you're using food grade plastic bottles meant for carbonated/pressurized liquids (like soda or beer). Mr. Beer kits use them successfully. One potential problem is the clear plastic won't filter any light like brown bottles will, so you'll have to be sure to store them in the dark. The other "problem" is that no one expects to drink beer out of a plastic bottle...but that's just aesthetics. For a more "traditional" approach to simpler bottling, check out swing-top Grölsch-style bottles.

I filled a few 20oz soda bottles on my last batch (pale ale) as a test. This weekend when I bottle my current bock I will test one of the pales and, if all is well, I'll bottle most of it in 20oz Coke bottles.

See, I'm camping in December and the campground is a state park, no alcohol allowed. Iffin they get the hankerin' to look in my cooler all they will see are Mt. Dew bottles (pale ale) and Coke bottles (bock). :rockin:

We've actually never had them look in our coolers and have never had problems as long as we are discrete. I'm just using that as an excuse to bring homebrew in disposable bottles. ;)

Many homebrewers around here use plastic soda bottles, maybe not for the whole batch, but 2-liter bottles are good for bringing to meetings.

david_42 said:
Many homebrewers around here use plastic soda bottles, maybe not for the whole batch, but 2-liter bottles are good for bringing to meetings.

Meetings? I want your job. j/k :D

I really like my amber coloured grolsch-style bottles but I usually use these really nice long-neck style plastic bottles that my LHBS carries. They're a nice deep amber colour and are 500ML. I've never had a problem with them. I use 1000ML green plastic bottles for 'party beers.' I've never had a problem with the green colour but with those bottles I've been even more careful about light control.

FYI...A&W Rootbeer comes in 20oz brown bottles. I'm not sure if the 2 Liter bottles are the same color, don't think so though.

I put an add in my local paper, "Wanted-Old style beer bottles that can be reused for homebrewing." I got tonnes of calls and I got 13 dozen bottles

Jason Halter said:
I put an add in my local paper, "Wanted-Old style beer bottles that can be reused for homebrewing." I got tonnes of calls and I got 13 dozen bottles

Excellent idea. Bravo! :mug:

Almost all my beer is in plastic 1L bottles, they are easy to clean and totally reusable, as mentioned you are best to store them in the dark but as I store all my stuff in the dark anyway this is not a problem for me!

Back