Portland Maine Breweries??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be in Portland Maine for a few days next week and I'm thinking of visiting one of the several microbreweries there. I visited the Anheuser Busch plant in St Louis when I was a kid, but I haven't been to a brewery since i started brewing almost a year ago.

Has anybody been to one of the Portland breweries and can tell me which one has the best tours (or the best beer)? Or is it just a waste of time altogether?

Thanks

I am a big fan of the Allagash tour. One of the better brewery tours I have been on. There is a nice tasting before and you can buy beer there that can be hard to find elsewhere. If you take the Allagash tour, I don't think you will be disappointed.

sea dog brewery, in south portland
great blueberry beer (which you can also get at trader joes)

Shipyard brewery is the big game in town, their old port brewery has tours but you don't see anything other than a video and do a tasting. I'm not sure Gritty's does a tour, but you should def. check out their bar in old port and/or freeport. Sebago brewing is another but I'm not sure they do tours either. Finally, Allagash is the place to check out a tour, although I haven't been on one myself.

Also...hit up Great Lost Bear for a great selection of Maine brews! Can't miss kind of place.

Have fun! This time of year is a great time to come out and visit us!

Back