Honey and Berry Weiss recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
I am planning a Berry weiss brew, using the elder berries I have growing in my back yard. Every week I get about 1-2 lbs out of the tree. Lots of fruit recipes out there, but I have another thought as well.

Friend of mine loves Leinies Honey Weiss, mixed with Leines Berry Weiss. SO I am thinking for my next two batches, making a berry and a honey weiss.

Taking that into consideration, what recipes would you use for these two brews.

Thanks again, in advance, for all the help guys.

PS. I can do AG or extract brews.

I like the elderberry idea a lot! I'm planning on doing something like this, but with blackberries when they are in season. At this point, my basic concept is a grist of 47% 2-row, 47% wheat, and 6% Crystal 30L, and I'll add 1lb of blackberry honey to the primary fermenter, followed by 6lbs of blackberries to the secondary. I'm thinking of splitting the batch and fermenting half with Nottingham (my go-to yeast) and the other half with 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend to see how the phenolics go with the blackberry. Should be interesting. Best of luck with your berry/honey experiments! :mug:

What does everyone think of this recipe?

BerryAle.jpg

Seems to have honey and berry all together. The recipe called this an ale, but used lager yeast.

I like this one as well, its a wheat beer, and I think it will work better with the berries. I would have to brew a separate Honey ale to mix with this. Both of these recipes, I would change the fruit to my elderberries.

berryweizen.jpg

The second recipe looks pretty straightforward. I think you could just replace some of the extract in the recipe with some honey either at flameout or into the fermenter, rather than brewing a separate honey beer recipe.

The second recipe looks pretty straightforward. I think you could just replace some of the extract in the recipe with some honey either at flameout or into the fermenter, rather than brewing a separate honey beer recipe.

True, I could add some honey, but honestly, I am not sure I want to put all my eggs into one basket so to speak. I am still somewhat new at this, and if I spoil one batch, I will have the other to fall back on.

i say you just make the honey weiss then split it. Leines berry weiss is the honey weiss with the berry flavor. To tell you honestly i would ask your friend why he/she mixes the two together. Often the answer you get is becasue the berry weiss is to sweet.

if that was the answer i say just berry a berry weiss that wont be as sweet

Back