should I skip the airlock and go for a blowoff for this brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
Gonna be brewing AHBS belgian wit on sunday, im gonna be pitching a starter from whitelabs belgian wit yeast. Was wondering if i should just go right for a blowoff tube for this one? i have a feeling it will need it.

I say you should brew the beer and then put it on a scale. If the combined weight of the beer and the bucket are more than 34 pounds, use a blowoff tube. Otherwise you should be safe. If you're using a carboy, this equation will not work.

I say you should brew the beer and then put it on a scale. If the combined weight of the beer and the bucket are more than 34 pounds, use a blowoff tube. Otherwise you should be safe. If you're using a carboy, this equation will not work.
i'll be using a bucket for primary. Never heard of doing that before, whats the theory behind it?

The first answer was right and I'm bored. :)

Although, if you think about it I should have said something more along the lines of 43 pounds. 8 pounds to a gallon of normal water plus whatever saturation of sugars, etc. in the bucket could probably give you a reasonable estimation of the headroom left in a standard bucket, giving more room for krausen, which means there'd be less chance of a blowoff.

I'd say just use the tube. :)

The first answer was right and I'm bored. :)

Although, if you think about it I should have said something more along the lines of 43 pounds. 8 pounds to a gallon of normal water plus whatever saturation of sugars, etc. in the bucket could probably give you a reasonable estimation of the headroom left in a standard bucket, giving more room for krausen, which means there'd be less chance of a blowoff.

I'd say just use the tube. :)

Man that was classic. I should have waited on my reply.

Latest posts

Back