Just racked to secondary....why you ask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmanbrew

Reaction score
To make my primary available to brew another batch this weekend! I can't wait to get my pipeline started. It is my first ever batch and is going good so far. It was in primary for 9 days, and hit my SG on target at 1.013 (1.052 OG), pretty stoked about that:rockin:. I know most people don't go to secondary mostly due to another chance of infection. So I spent 2 flippin hours tonight cleaning, sanitizing, then siphoning and then cleaning and sanitizing again.

Everyone always says just leave and forget about it, let it sit. It's easy for those who have the pipeline moving and can just grab a homebrew at any time and relax. However the patience of a beginner is a short fuse. Already got my calender filled in for the next 6 weeks to brew and bottle!

Oh, one thing to not say to the wife....so during the hydrometer test phase she sampled some of the Irish Red from the tube and was surprised that it actually tasted like beer. So during dinner I said to her "you know this does taste like pot roast". No points for the newbie.

Thanks again to everyone for posting such helpful information about the brewing process.

Brian

Why transfer? Couldn't you have just used your other vessel for fermentation for the next batch?

Why transfer? Couldn't you have just used your other vessel for fermentation for the next batch?
I stayed with the majority. Primary is a 6.5 gal and secondary is a 5 gal. I read that a 5 gal is not good for primary fermentation.

I stayed with the majority. Primary is a 6.5 gal and secondary is a 5 gal. I read that a 5 gal is not good for primary fermentation.

Good call. Trying to use a 5 gallon fermenter for a primary can be done, but is usually a real PITA. I've had my worst blowoffs from a 5 gallon BB. I could imagine doing a less active fermentation like a lager in a 5 gallon carboy, but I'd still try to leave plenty of headspace.

if you're using dry yeast, or liquid yeast less than 1.060, you don't need a starter, so the 5g fermenter is ok. liquid yeast and bigger than 1.060, yes, then do it in the 6.5, as the starter will make it ferment insanely

if you're using dry yeast, or liquid yeast less than 1.060, you don't need a starter, so the 5g fermenter is ok. liquid yeast and bigger than 1.060, yes, then do it in the 6.5, as the starter will make it ferment insanely

My last beer was 1.054, had to put it in my 5 ballon BB for various reasons. I got tons of blowoff even though I used FermCap and dry yeast. I bought a second 6.5g bucket so I don't have to deal with it again

For less than $20 you could have another fermenter and have 2 beers going at the same time without moving anything to secondary. I've found that leaving mine in the fermenter longer gets me good beer sooner. The beer seems to smooth out being on that big yeast cake.

Do you or your wife like cider? That's what you use that 5 gallon carboy for.

I will be looking into another fermenter soon. It seems like more people just do primary and go w/o secondary. Since it's my first batch I'll get through a couple more before I step it up a notch. The basics are overwhelming enough.

Back