Yuengling now in Georgia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throckmorton

Reaction score
For those of you interested, they are finally distributing Yuengling here. Just picked up a six pack at the local Publix.

i had some friends who drove an hour to get a $50 case of yuengling down there (when its <$18 here). the out of state markup is crazy sometimes... mmm....chesterfield....

ive never had it, ive heard it is mediocre to satisfactory at best by many...i go to school here in IL with people from Penn. and i cant get it here to try it myself

oh god, its not a good beer by any homebrew or micro standard. i prefer to drink it because its the best cheap beer. its not BMC nor is it one of those "imports". for $18, i dare you to find a better major brew.

Yeah, I was born in that brewery town and still think Yuengling Lager is only slightly better than BMC. But what about the Chesterfield Ale? Anybody have that lately? It's been years since I've had it. Is the Porter any good? Again, years since I've had it. I know that the Black and Tan is a mixture of Yuengling Premium and the Porter. The Premium ruins it. They probably should have mixed the Porter with the Chesterfield Ale.

I wish they had it here in Nebraska! I also wish they had Publix here, I need a sub. Maybe one day it will make it out this way or maybe one day I will just move back home.

Hate to say it, but before I started drinking my own brews I used to buy their porter all the time. The stuff was so ridiculously cheap and being a college student, I could buy a few cases of it and not get mad if my buddies drank most of it. And it wasn't too bad.
Though now that the local Ommegang beers are cheap ($4 for a 750ml) I wont be buying Yuengling anymore.

oh god, its not a good beer by any homebrew or micro standard. i prefer to drink it because its the best cheap beer. its not BMC nor is it one of those "imports". for $18, i dare you to find a better major brew.

Lion's head, although it has been a while since I had it. Very cheap. Obviously depends on your definition of major.

Annapolis Home Brew has a clone that is much better. Originally the lager was much better than it is right now, taste varies a lot one case is good one bad one mediocre ever since they went to a concentrated brew technique, new brew master and cheaper extract additions. used to be one of our favorites since I can pretty much roll down the hill to the brewery. now I brew my own and try many others. My father in law used to drink it exclusively and now drinks amstel light or MGD or Sam adams summer ale and has no use for the lager anymore. The annapolis clone is close to the old as it has a lot more flavor and a little more hops. I brewed a batch in May with barely "lagering" (50 degrees or higher) and am going to do it right this winter with lagering it to below 40 in my root cellar

Brought 3 cases down from PA on my last trip...

IMHO
Lager = slightly better than standard horse urine BMC...
Black and tan = maybe slightly better than above...
Porter = favorite out of the three...

Haven't seen the porter here yet...

lion's head is worse than yuengling. i suppose if youre strapped for cash and have no taste buds at all....

lord chesterfield is really good actually. id drink some of that any day. the porter isnt too bad either.

Yeah, I was born in that brewery town and still think Yuengling Lager is only slightly better than BMC. But what about the Chesterfield Ale? Anybody have that lately? It's been years since I've had it. Is the Porter any good? Again, years since I've had it. I know that the Black and Tan is a mixture of Yuengling Premium and the Porter. The Premium ruins it. They probably should have mixed the Porter with the Chesterfield Ale.

The Chesterfield is pretty good, it used to be better when it was $13 a case. I am not sure how much it is now, haven't had it in years. The Porter is ok, reminds me of many of the non-descript micros floating around out there, a little weaker than most, but drinkable. I don't think I have ever had the premium.

hmmm, i grew up in yuengling at college, i thought it was pretty good. I suppose that's why i am getting into home brewing, to make really awesome beer. That and chemical engineer + likes beer = home brewing. Not a real big stretch.

Everyone back in PA loves it but to me it's only slightly better than BMC. Don't let the color fool you.

I wouldn't go that far...it's good for what it is, cheap party/bar/bbq beer that's got more flavor than your typical BMC product. But most residents do love it for what it is...

I don't think I have ever had the premium.

I suspect the Premium is fairly equivalent to a BMC. The problem with the Yuengling brewery is that they're more of a small-time macro than a micro. They use "corn grits" in probably every style... which tells me they come from a foundation of cost-cutting (which is what makes BMC, BMC) rather than the integrity of beer we homebrewers usually look for. (Not there is anything inherently wrong with using corn.)

$2.00 Liters at lunch of Yuengling during school and did not make it back to class a few times! Ahh the old days! Always a pint waiting for me back east at my local pub.

As someone who grew up in the Philly area, and appreciates good beer, Yuengling lager is -- in my opinion -- nasty. It just has this funky taste to it that I absolutely do not like. I'd almost rather drink a silver bullet. In fact, if someone had a Coors in one hand and a Yuengling in the other, I'd pick the Coors.

I haven't had the Porter, Chesterfield, or Premium in a very long time, but I don't remember them being particular stand-outs.

i had some friends who drove an hour to get a $50 case of yuengling down there (when its <$18 here). the out of state markup is crazy sometimes... mmm....chesterfield....

I worked with somebody who drank it in FL a few years back with his dad all day long. When they went to pay the bill it was over $300. Apparently they considered it an "import" and charged premium for it. I don't think it's bad for a major brew. I used to sneak this stuff into the dorms since I refused to drink the typical college Natty.

back when i lived in PA it was the thing to drink. Now that ive become more worldly though i like other ones better.

$50 a case in GA? Hell I could buy it up here for $20 a case and ship it down there for less making a small profit.

Side note... word has it that a couple of years ago the local Bud salespeople were asking local bars to give out a Bud instead of the Yuengling Lager when people would walk up asking for a "lager". It never happened and that is why whenever you walk into a bar up here and ask for a "lager" your getting Yuengling.

Side note... word has it that a couple of years ago the local Bud salespeople were asking local bars to give out a Bud instead of the Yuengling Lager when people would walk up asking for a "lager". It never happened and that is why whenever you walk into a bar up here and ask for a "lager" your getting Yuengling.
the local billboards here in the area now advertise "Yuengling.............Lager's first name"

Yeah, good luck with that:drunk:

Lived in PA before moving south. Was glad to see Yuengling here in SC. Lager is ok. cheap... although it recently went up in price. Black and Tan is better. Lager was the only beer my ex-wife liked.

Cant get the Porter or the Chesterfield ale (my Fav.) mix the Chet & Porter in a big mug used to serve those at the Northeast Tap Room in Reading PA. I miss that bar!.... Ahhhh the Memories. Uhhhh or the black outs... LOL.

Premium is the WORST. tastes like dirty, greasy, soapy dishwater... But those old coal crackers up in Pottsville can't get enough of it. seen them sitting around a bar coughing up black lung downing gallons of it.

I'm pretty sure the stuff I'm getting here in SC IS NOT brewed in Pottsvile PA. tastes different than it did back home.

Brewery tour is interesting. built into the side of a mountain.

I know Yuengling gets a bad rap, but I like the stuff for what it is - a great cheap refreshing lager that has more taste than any of the other BMC garbage. Skip the 6'ers, though, every time I get one it's skunked. The 12 pack cans or bottles are the way to go.

The porter is pretty good. I bet if you handed it out in a blind taste test people would think it's some amazing micro or something. Skip the black & tan. Can't speak for the others.

One of the local bars here has $3 liter glasses of Yuengling. Can't beat that!

Most of the SE Yuengling is brewed over in Tampa, btw.

They use "corn grits" in probably every style... which tells me they come from a foundation of cost-cutting (which is what makes BMC, BMC) rather than the integrity of beer we homebrewers usually look for. (Not there is anything inherently wrong with using corn.)

Did you do know that when AB and Miller and the like started using corn adjuncts (1870's) it was not to save money but to make a light colored bohemian style lager that appealled to the masses? The cost at that time was higher to use corn instead of malted barley. I am not defending or promoting BMC (hardly), just providing a little history lesson. And for the record, I think at this point it is cheaper to use corn adjuncts even if they could produce the same swill using malted barley, which they can't thus the use of corn in the first place.
If you want to learn more about it, read "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer" by Maureen Ogle. It's an entertaining and enlightening read.

Did you do know that when AB and Miller and the like started using corn adjuncts (1870's) it was not to save money but to make a light colored bohemian style lager that appealled to the masses? The cost at that time was higher to use corn instead of malted barley. I am not defending or promoting BMC (hardly), just providing a little history lesson. And for the record, I think at this point it is cheaper to use corn adjuncts even if they could produce the same swill using malted barley, which they can't thus the use of corn in the first place.
If you want to learn more about it, read "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer" by Maureen Ogle. It's an entertaining and enlightening read.

Yes, I'm aware of the earlier use of adjuncts in Am. brewing, but current BMC recipes were developed after prohibition and the fact that corn and rice are cheaper than barley has a lot to do with why they're used. As far as Yuengling goes, I'm pretty sure all but the Porter and Chesterfield Ale are post-prohibition beers as well (and even they've probably had recipe changes to include the use of "corn grits"). And trust me, if the cost of today's adjuncts (corn, rice, etc.) somehow surpassed the cost of barley, I'm sure we'd be seeing marketing campaigns from BMC for new lines of beer with all barley.

I know Yuengling gets a bad rap, but I like the stuff for what it is - a great cheap refreshing lager that has more taste than any of the other BMC garbage.

I agree... which is why we always bought it on vaca when heading to the beach in Florida. Good hot weather beer. Unfortunately, it's a bit more pricey in GA.

A case of 16 oz yuengling cans here is $22. After a few homebrews/micros, it is the workhorse for a day of football watching.

Back