bottleing time question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
Is there any reason to use campden or some other finishing additive at bottling time to prevent bottle bombs? I'm figuring that after using the white labs sweet mead yeast, it only attenuates to 16% or something and at that point the yeast is asleep anyway.

I'm a long time brewer, first time Mead/Wine maker and not boiling my goods for an hour before pitching yeast felt weird enough.

I also don't want any bottle bombs since the left over form this batch tastes pretty darn good at this point.

thanks for the help!

I made my 1st batch last summer. Used wine yeast. I did not use any campden or finishing additives. I let it age at about 60-65 degrees for almost 3 months in a carboy. I did not add any priming sugar as I wanted a still mead. No bottle bombs here. It tastes great after aging almost a year. Going to get more honey this morning for an up coming batch.

If you reach (or exceed) the tolerance of the yeast, you can bottle without needing stabilizing agents. However, it is a good idea to bulk age them for at least several weeks under airlock at room temp just to make sure the yeast are really and truly done. You wouldn't want a bottle that gets stored in a warm closet to start up again.

Medsen

Back