Take a look at my hops... Nutrient Deficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordura

Reaction score
I've noticed the leaves are becoming more round with less point the tall they grow. From the info i got on Hop Disease and Pest Symptoms, it looks like it might be a nutrient deficiency.

The fertilizer i'm using is miraclegro shake and feed. it calls for a dime size portion per square foot. It's in a huge bucket so i used a quarter size amount.

I am also only training 2 bines for this first year cascade.

Here is mine:
IMG_3293.jpg

Here is one from Hop Disease and Pest Symptoms:
nitrogen.jpg

Let me know if there is anything i can do!!

OMG! that is the healthiest looking plant of all the "nutrient deficient" plant post here yet.

How in the world did you take from that photo that a rounded leaf is nutrient deficient? Did you read the associated descriptor? the intent of the photo is to spotlight the yellowing and the interveinal necrosis not the leaf shape.

As the leaves mature they will develope the signature shape. Relax.

Your plant looks fine. It is common to have leaves with different shapes on the same plant.

Later in the year, I get leaves that curl up and turn brown at the edges. Doesn't seem to affect the yield, so I just continue to water the plants as normal. Don't stress if the plants don't look textbook perfect - they will produce hops just fine.

Yeah, those look incredibly healthy. I think the one or two lobed leaf is fairly common among first year hop plants. They will most likely start producing only the three lobed later this season and you may very well not see anything but 3 lobed next year.

Keep doing what you're doing.

OMG! that is the healthiest looking plant of all the "nutrient deficient" plant post here yet.

How in the world did you take from that photo that a rounded leaf is nutrient deficient? Did you read the associated descriptor? the intent of the photo is to spotlight the yellowing and the interveinal necrosis not the leaf shape.

As the leaves mature they will develope the signature shape. Relax.

+ a bunch....nice looking plants!:rockin:

The shape of the leaves change as they get older. That's completely normal.

It's also normal for Cascades to have 1-, 3-, and 5-lobe leaves.

Some Japanese ornamental hops have 7 lobed leaves. Just as useless in beer as other 7-lobed herbs.

But are they as good to inhale? :drunk:

OP: They look great. Mine have a couple different kinds of leaves on them too!

Back