White Labs Yeast Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
I received my mini-mash kits on Wednesday this week. Upon opening, I discovered one of the White Labs Yeast vials to be leaking slightly. California Ale yeast... lovely smell. Anyway, I contacted the shop I purchased the kits from and was told that I should pitch it regardless.
I'm having a bit of a hard time with that. My thought is that if the yeast can get out... then certainly, the air outside and it's contaminants can get in.

I'm looking for some reassurance here...
Do you guys think this would be okay to pitch?
Thanks.

If the vial was hotter (and it would probably have to be a bit hotter) and then cooled rapidly, it's possible for stuff to pull in...but it's not likely. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the seal isn't busted...in that case I'd demand a resend because it could have been somebody fooling with it.

It's your call (obviously) but I am fairly cautious and don't see too much of a problem. The only real problem would be is if a A LOT of the yeast leaked out. Then I'd call and say no way Jose.

I don't like that answer at all. That vial should stay sealed. The folks at the store should know that.

I suppose that, if you did not want to make a fuss, you could make a starter and see what you get. I'd be inclined to make a fuss, though.

TL

Yea, I think that I would ask for another vial. If only because you go through such pains as keeping everything else sanitary, why possibly mess up your batch with something that is not your fault and should be replaced...

Well, I thought I was being a little OCD on this one. Glad to hear you guys feel the same way. Thing is, I really have to get these going this weekend (due to time constraints). I'll need to find something local.
I agree on the shop too... I can hardly believe that they wouldn't automatically offer to (at least) credit my account.

Back