Strange looking Wine in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Níl_fhios_agam

Reaction score
Can someone take a look at the photo below and tell me does this look normal? I have quite a few brews under my belt now but never seen this with wine (I have with beer and its normal). This only started to happen after I moved from primary to secondary. Its almost like the yeast is only just proving and starting off.......any comments?

wine.jpg

Hmm, it would help to know what kind of wine it is? The ubiquitous apfel variety perhaps?

I'm just a beginner and can't answer your question but your post prompted a question from me. I've only begun learning about wine-making recently and have read so much info, I may be getting things jumbled up in my head. I thought you had to leave a 1-inch headspace in the secondary vessel...it doesn't look like you have so now I'm wondering during what part of the process should I leave a 1-inch headspace?

Hmm, it would help to know what kind of wine it is? The ubiquitous apfel variety perhaps?

No, its just a standard Beaverdale Pinot Grigio kit. Nothing different from the many I have already made......thats what so strange?:confused:

I'm just a beginner and can't answer your question but your post prompted a question from me. I've only begun learning about wine-making recently and have read so much info, I may be getting things jumbled up in my head. I thought you had to leave a 1-inch headspace in the secondary vessel...it doesn't look like you have so now I'm wondering during what part of the process should I leave a 1-inch headspace?

There is about 2-3 inches of head space there. To be honest, I haven't really taken much notice of head space, expect to make sure its not brimming to the top. Haven't had any problems either......until now!

How long did you keep it in the primary? How does it smell? I have a few dozen kits under my belt but I've never seen anything like this in a secondary.

How long did you keep it in the primary? How does it smell? I have a few dozen kits under my belt but I've never seen anything like this in a secondary.

Yeah, its strange isn't it. Would be a great head for beer! I left it about 10 days but Gravity was still around 1.022 when I moved (which looking back on now, I should have left!)

The must was aerated when you racked it so this may be nothing more than a vigorous continuation of the primary fermentation. Why not smell it and if it smells good there likely isn't a problem. You'd think 12 days would be plenty of time in the primary though, at 1.022, it obviously wasn't.

Níl_fhios_agam;815862 said:
No, its just a standard Beaverdale Pinot Grigio kit. Nothing different from the many I have already made......thats what so strange?:confused:

Oh, when you said wine I thought purple, never considered white.

Back