Filtering wort on the way in to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
For the last two batches I've been filtering the wort on the way into primary. I'm using two filter mediums: a screen-type collander that sits inside a large funnel w/ screen that I got from the LHBS.

This second batch it seemed like a large portion of the break material was very small and made it through both filters.

Is there any other method that can be used to filter? Is it possible to use several layers of cheesecloth?

I don't strain it at all....If it boiled...it gets fermented...hops and all.
it leaves a very thick sediment layer in your fermentor, but it simplifies the whole operation, and doesn't hurt anything.

and a 3rd vote: why strain? I NEVER do, and my beer comes out clear in the end. Irish moss is your friend, and either long primary or a secondary clearing...and possibly crash cooling.

I don't even use the funnel and strainer to move the wort from the kettle to the carboy anymore. I just siphon the whole thing in. I only stop siphoning when the wort is all in the carboy and the siphon gets too gunked up with trub to flow any longer. All my beer has turned out perfectly clear after fermenting and resting in the secondary.

Back