Lots of questions......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridabwoy

Reaction score
I got a mr. beer for a wedding present and Ive gotten really into
the recepies for making different flavor beers. I used the instructions
using mr. beer but I added a can of pureed pinaple a cup of mollases
and a half cup of brown sugar. It has been fermenting for twe weeks
and I am set to bottle today....

Ok.... i tried a sip in a shotglass and it seems bitter. The color and texture
is good but bitter. When I add sugar to carbonate will it sweeten the beer?
Is it safe to drink after carbonation? This is my first batch so im no scientist.

Where is the best place to buy bottles, caps and a capping press?

I want to make a pomegrate beer next. I hop to get this sorted.

No, bottling sugar won't sweeten the beer, unless you use way too much, then you risk creating bottle bombs. If you want to sweeten the batch, you need to add unfermentable sugar, like splenda, then carbonate normally avoiding schrapnel.

floridabwoy said:
...Where is the best place to buy bottles, caps and a capping press?

Look for a local Beer and Wine making store in a metro area nearby.

Sounds like you're eager to brew more. I'd say you've already outgrown the Mr. Beer. THat kit gets a lot of homebrewers started...but people quickly graduate to the next step which is not that expensive.

Spend some time at the following sites:

www.howtobrew.com
www.midwestsupplies.com
www.austinhomebrew.com

Like anything...the more you linger around, the more you'll learn.

I completely agree with biermuncher....... From what I've heard (and tasted) the Mr. beer kit is not impressive. It's much more fun and personal to build your own equipment list and not hard at all! May I recommend starting out brewing a simple style of beer(pale ale,E.S.B, etc) to learn the basics before you start adding fruit and flavors to your brew.Mind you this is only if you wish to further this hobby beyond the depth that a Mr. beer kit can provide.

I think you may have used too much sugar and molasses because the fruit is also acting as a sugar (I'm sure other brewers on this site can give you more info about fermentation) .

If this is your first time I would try the basic 1 can hopped malt extract and booster, then graduate to using the unhopped malts in place of the booster. Then experiment with hops and different flavors then try adding spices and fruit later.

Once you get the basic idea down, brewing a 5 gallon batch with extract will be easy and before you know it you'll have the mr beer kit in the attic.

Although I still use my mr beer kit because I don't have the space in my apartment to brew 5 gallons.

Also priming sugar is not going to contribute to your flavor.

EDIT: I misread and thought that was your first batch...my new response: go buy a 5 gallon brewing kit :)

I'd be worried about the acidic content of the pineapple and it's potential to ruin head retention, but as long as you like it that's all that matters.

Priming sugar won't have any impact on the taste other than to result in carbonation.

I'd also agree with BierMuncher in that it sounds like you're ready to make an upgrade. Judging by the way that you improvised on your first brew I'd say an upgrade is in order.

Back