Mr Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
After thinking about making wine for awhile and doing a lot if reading here, I decided tonight to just go with beer. Went and bought myself a Mr Beer (don't judge me lol). Well, got home and got my first batch of beer going. Just poured the yeast and sat the keg in a dark room.

Any thoughts on the Mr Beer other than it sucks to be me? We all have to start somewhere, right? I just hope it ends up drinkable.

It doesn't suck to be you, it's awesome to be you. You are making beer. Where no alcohol previously existed, alcohol will soon exist. Congratulations!!
:mug: :ban: :mug:

Have some confidence, man! Many of us here started with Mr.Beer

I made some huge mistakes (A/c went out, ferm temp got up to 85...fusel alcohol city), pitched yeast at 100 degrees, and instead of boiling the priming sugar, I just sprinkled it in the bottles (dont do this..haha) and it still was very drinkable. Not world-class beer by any means, but enough to get me interested.

In fact, I would prefer my butchered Mr.Beer to my first two batches of "real" extract kit beers. I made a bunch of mistakes, but all my beer is drinkable and enjoyable. I also prefer my butchered Mr.Beer to bud light any day of the week.

Just have fun and don't take the jargon and depth of this forum too seriously. Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew!

Cheers.

Only things I've ever tried that came from such a kit wasn't all that good. Worse than commercial beer in fact. Luckily I didn't make/brew it (someone else brought it with him to a brew-day). The person that made it was happy with it, since his main goal was to get F'd up on it. What he called them, were not even close to what they were (beer styles). Not sure if the kits just suck that badly, or he did. :eek:

I would advise going out and getting a decent starter kit (after reading up more on the actual brewing process) and at least brew something from an extract (with specialty grains) kit. Compare the two once finished and I'm sure you'll never buy a mr. beer ingredient kit again.

BTW, I never bothered with a mr. beer kit. Went directly to one of your standard (dual bucket) 5 gallon batch starter kits. Used slightly modified LHBS kits for the first two brews, then a heavily modified for the third batch before making my own recipes from the fourth one on. Very glad I never did the mr. beer stuff.

bobot said:
It doesn't suck to be you, it's awesome to be you. You are making beer.

Yes. Be proud of your Mr. Beer. Years ago I helped make some Mr. Beer batches and they turned out fine, despite our profound ignorance (my friend stuck his hand in the fermenter to retrieve a wayward spoon, still tasted ok). (edit - the batches tasted ok, but not great.)

Brewing one's first beer can be quite intimidating. It seems like there is a lot of stuff to keep track of, a lot of equipment to get just right, a lot of .... ya ya ya.
Mr. Beer.
It is going to make you 2 gallons of beer, and as you've seen, it wasn't that bad. (process wise)
As an icebreaker, it's a wonderful invention. And as a way of dealing with the initial homebrewing anxiety, it's a godsend.
However, you'll soon see that you have no control over the recipe, the process, or the finished product. But so what. Brew a few Mr. Beers, then get a 5 gallon kit.

Yes. Be proud of your Mr. Beer. Years ago I helped make some Mr. Beer batches and they turned out fine, despite our profound ignorance (my friend stuck his hand in the fermenter to retrieve a wayward spoon, still tasted ok). (edit - the batches tasted ok, but not great.)

I challenge anyone that says they made a truly GREAT beer from a [100%] mr. beer kit (and ingredients, with NO modifications). Once you progress to at least extract with specialty grains, you're going to be making much better beer. Go all grain and then you'll have total recipe control. :rockin:

I challenge anyone that says they made a truly GREAT beer from a [100%] mr. beer kit (and ingredients, with NO modifications). Once you progress to at least extract with specialty grains, you're going to be making much better beer. Go all grain and then you'll have total recipe control. :rockin:

I challenge anyone to say they made a truly GREAT beer their first freeking time around, Jeez!???
The OP is new to the game, and you're talking about all grain brewing??
WTF

I challenge anyone to say they made a truly GREAT beer their first freeking time around, Jeez!???
The OP is new to the game, and you're talking about all grain brewing??
WTF

Mine was damned good... I didn't start with a mr. beer kit, but a 'big boy kit'... I've been cooking long enough to not F something like that up. IMO, mr. beer also drives off just as many brewers as it attracts (that stay with it).

BTW, I wasn't talking about a first batch. I was talking about at any time. Virtually impossible to do with JUST what is included in those kits. Once you take off the training wheels, you can actually start brewing great beer.

Mine was damned good... I didn't start with a mr. beer kit, but a 'big boy kit'... I've been cooking long enough to not F something like that up. IMO, mr. beer also drives off just as many brewers as it attracts (that stay with it).

BTW, I wasn't talking about a first batch. I was talking about at any time. Virtually impossible to do with JUST what is included in those kits. Once you take off the training wheels, you can actually start brewing great beer.

Wow, big boy, did you read the first post in this thread?
The Original Poster just brewed his first beer, if you could find it in your ego, maybe you might congratulate him.

Ignore anyone that says it sucks and then finishes with the words all grain...

I started with Mr Beer a year ago. Its a great way to get started in the hobby. Yes I made great beer with Mr. Beer Recipes (not the basic kits, the more advanced ones with hops, steeped grains, and all malt you can get from the website). I just used the basic all malt kits my wife got me and added the ingredients called for in the mr beer website recipe from locally obtained ingredients (hops, yeast, DME, honey, etc...). But the first 2 I did where completely Mr. Beer Recipes. They were awesome. I still have a couple bottles from each batch. I am saving them for my father when he visits in Dec, and will be proud to serve them along side my later more complex (for me) brews.

I was intimidated by 5 - 6 gallon batches and 50 something bottles to fill. And I have never once bottled a full 5 gallon batch I only bottle half batches (I keg).

So after my early success I dived in head first. Started formulating my own recipes, got more 1/2 batch sized fermenters. Then on to the 5 gallon mini mashes, that I regularly brew now. And of course more fermenters, bigger pots, and a kegging system. Though I have only used one keg so far. I now have my eyes on a propane burner, 32 quart pot, and 5 gallon cooler for my next upgrade. Yes its all grain time at the drooling neo...

But yes mr beer is great! I still use the LBK (little brown keg) for half batches. Its design is actually superior to a basic bucket or carboy, its more on par with a ported better bottle in my books, the wide shallow design also keeps krausen levels down and blow off non existent even with higher gravity brews.

Welcome to the addiction

I picked up a used Mr. Beer kit just for the bottles so I could make my kids root beer. I threw the keg aside and didn't give it much if any thought. After doing Brewer's Best kits for almost a year I got into doing all-grain 5gallon batches and soon to 10gallon AG. I then happened upon a couple smaller coolers and decided to do some 2gallon "test batches" alongside my 10gallon batches. I then pulled out the ole Mr. Beer Keg and let-er-fly. I haven't tasted the 1st of my 2gallon batches, but the fermentation seemed to go pretty darned good. Easy cleanup and pretty easy to use.

Use that Mr. Beer and if it's something that you like doing, get bigger and better equipment if needed. If it works as is, stick with it.

GL to ya!

Goldilocks, chill out. I too am one of many who have given mr beer a whirl. Had it not been for their kits i would have never given home brew a second thought. Couple of their batches and now i am starting extract recipes. Check your pretentiousness at the door, or if your abilities are so grand stay out of the beginners forum.

Well damn guys. Lol. I pitched my yeast on my first batch (how's that for lingo from the noob...lol) at 8pm and capped the lid. Just went in to look and shined a light in and that bugger is bubbling away! Nice layer of foam on top already. That is a good thing, right?

Well damn guys. Lol. I pitched my yeast on my first batch (how's that for lingo from the noob...lol) at 8pm and capped the lid. Just went in to look and shined a light in and that bugger is bubbling away! Nice layer of foam on top already. That is a good thing, right?

That's an awesome thing, Ha ha!!!

Mr beer is no better or worse than any other brew setup, no matter what you might have heard. You can make great beer or lousy beer with it, it all depends on YOU and YOUR PROCESS. If you follow the tips on this forum (and ignore the instructions that came with it,) especially those in that big thread, but all the things we talk about on here, good sanitization, temp control, patience, pitch enough healthy yeast, give PLENTY of time for the beer to carb and bottle condition, you'll make great beer with the little brown keg. We've had at least two mr beer brewers medal in brewing competitions with them.

The Mr Beer kits has been a gateway for a ton of folks into the hobby.

I first saw Mr. Beer a decade ago and I was amazed. I never did pop on one, but it got me doing research. I just recently decided to try my hand at brewing when I saw a Mr. Beer in the store. I think they are more popular around the holidays. I decided that for the price of a Mr. Beer kit, I could already be well invested into a homebrew kit, so I went that route instead. I just bottled my first five gallons yesterday. I'll let you know in a week or so how it turned out. :)

Yeah, don't listen to golddiggie. His ego is beyond him. He still thinks hurricane sandy wasn't a big thing. Your beer will be fine! Its something to take pride in. As revvy said, its a gateway setup! Let us know how it turns out! I'm sure you'll be doing 5 gal batches in no time.

GeorgiaTiger said:

Yep. Beer is occurring. The hard part is to now ignore it for 2-3 weeks.

Let's keep personal remarks and off topic chatter out of this forum, ok?

This is the "beginner's beer brewing forum", so let's discuss that. We're not going to talk about personalities, or slam others. Thanks!

After brewing many decades ago, I stopped because I had a kid, moved, job change, yada, yada, yada. I had given most of my equipment away and didn't know if I was going to get the bug again so I got a Mr. Beer kit after a friend made up a tweaked recipe. It was very good. I tried the kit and wasn't impressed but added things to it and have made some very good beer.
Is it as good as my all grain and partial beers? No, but it ain't bad if you tweak the kits.
I still use my little brown kegs for small test batches and to teach friends how to do all grain in smaller sizes.
I think the Mr. Beer forum are some of the friendliest folks on the net. No judging or cliques.

On the topic of the Mr Beer kits, I noticed the other day that Sears had displays of them everywhere. I saw them at the entrance to the appliance section and near the register in the tool dept. I'm sure they have them out for Christmas shoppers. Since they're not expensive I'll bet they get a lot of impulse buys with the displays.

Rick :tank:

I noticed that I havent said what I was brewing...It is this from Mr. Beer that came with my kit-
"Classic American Light
Pale Straw color, mild in flavor and lighter bodied with a crisp, dry finish. A true to character representation of our nation’s favorite beer style. Serve ice cold for a clean, refreshing taste that has passed the test of time."

Anyone try this from Mr. Beer? Good, bad, or indifferent?

I just bought one as a gift for my buddy tonight. I started on a Mr Beer about 2 years ago now I think? Brewed about 4 or so batches of completely alright beer with it and then sprung for a 5 gallon kit. I still have the Mr. Beer stashed away in a cabinet and I'm sure I'll find something to do with it at some point. I think they're great to start with and learn! I enjoyed it because prior to Mr. Beer I was making hooch in apple juice jugs with powdered sugar and bakers yeast! I wanted to play with fermentation and learn about it and "see it in action". My GF got me the premium Mr. Beer as an anniversary gift and I hit the ground running. No more apple hooch, lol. I consider Mr. Beer the thing that actually got me into brewing.

Enjoy your time with it, you'll want bigger things sooner than you realize! lol. Most of all, have fun!

Enjoy your time with it, you'll want bigger things sooner than you realize! lol. Most of all, have fun!

And then you'll discover the joys of small batch brewing, and realize that you can do 2.5 gallon all grain test batches on your stovetop and ferment them in your little brown keg, and even lager them in your fridge, and either blow the dust off it, wish you hadn't gotten rid of it, or do like quite quite a lot of folks on here do, search through garage sales and craigslist for more than one of them.

Along with wine jugs for even smaller batch beer/wine making.

Mr beer was my gateway to home brewing. After my first two batches i started researching on here. Mr beer kits can make decent beer with a little work like using dme instead of booster and steeping specialty grains to add flavor. I still use my lil brown keg regularly.

I challenge anyone that says they made a truly GREAT beer from a [100%] mr. beer kit (and ingredients, with NO modifications)...
I made a GREAT beer with the old Gila Monster Dopplebock recipe.
I believe it was 4 cans of the old type Mr. Beer malt and liquid Wheat yeast.

I also make some great beer with 5 gallon extract kits, so much so that I didn't think I needed to bother with all grain. But yeah, I did all grain too, in 2.2-3.0 gallon batches.

This is what she looks like 72 hours after capping the lid on it. Looks like something exploded in there. Is that normal?

image-1818767712.jpg

Looks good! Fermentation is an ugly process but what you are seeing is the krausen forming.

It looks a little weird that it is much higher in that one area, but nothing to worry about. Looks like very normal fermentation.

I alos agree with Revvy about searching CL and yard sales for the kegs and or bottle. I have one "tabbed" on CL that if I ever work in the area MIGHT have to pick up. $15 never used. Can't beat that for another LBK. haha

I noticed that I havent said what I was brewing...It is this from Mr. Beer that came with my kit-
"Classic American Light
Pale Straw color, mild in flavor and lighter bodied with a crisp, dry finish. A true to character representation of our nation’s favorite beer style. Serve ice cold for a clean, refreshing taste that has passed the test of time."

Anyone try this from Mr. Beer? Good, bad, or indifferent?

I've not tried Mr. Beer since Coopers bought them out. Looking at the new HME cans they look to be the Coopers line up just renamed in smaller cans. Can anyone confirm that? Mr beer used to come with a West Cost Pale Ale Recipe which was an awesome base for many different ale recipes but not great buy its self. Also as a general rule Mr Beer HMEs are quite under hopped for the styles you may want to start doing a 40 minute boil with some unhopped malt extract and clean bittering hops. You can also up your finishing hops by adding some low alpha hops with 5-20 minutes left in the boil. Start with amounts of 7 grams of hop pellets or less.

I'm actually getting my brother-in-law a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. He's not the type who will (probably) ever get real serious about the hobby, and I think a Brewer's Best starter kit with Palmer's book would just collect dust as he'd be too overwhelmed to touch it.

As it is, he thinks it's neat that I homebrew and likes to drink my beers, but that's about it. I do think he'd use a Mr. Beer fairly regularly to make himself a quick case of homebrew though.

I'm giving him the Mr. Beer Kit, a 1lb bag of DME, a bag of corn sugar, and some extra dry yeast. I figure I'll give him some "tips" (add 1/2lb DME, use the dry yeast I gave him, and boil corn sugar in water vs adding table sugar to each bottle for priming) that should help turn out a better beer from the Mr. Beer kit.

I'm actually getting my brother-in-law a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. He's not the type who will (probably) ever get real serious about the hobby, and I think a Brewer's Best starter kit with Palmer's book would just collect dust as he'd be too overwhelmed to touch it.

As it is, he thinks it's neat that I homebrew and likes to drink my beers, but that's about it. I do think he'd use a Mr. Beer fairly regularly to make himself a quick case of homebrew though.

I'm giving him the Mr. Beer Kit, a 1lb bag of DME, a bag of corn sugar, and some extra dry yeast. I figure I'll give him some "tips" (add 1/2lb DME, use the dry yeast I gave him, and boil corn sugar in water vs adding table sugar to each bottle for priming) that should help turn out a better beer from the Mr. Beer kit.

Tried and true:

Recipe: Best Bitter
Style: English Special or Best Bitter
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (45.0) Standard English Session beer

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 9.25 L
Boil Size: 4.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 20 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.10 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 40.7 %
1.21 lb Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale HME (8.5 SRM)Extract 44.7 % --- any light hme will work here
10.00 gm First Gold [7.50%] (22 min) Hops 19.3 IBU --- any goldings type
10.00 gm First Gold [7.50%] (Dry Hop 20 days) Hops - --- any goldings type
0.40 lb Mr. Beer Booster (0.0 SRM) Sugar 14.6 %
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #-) Yeast-Ale

Ferment @ 67F for 3 weeks (will finish around 1.015)

Bottle with 70g corn sugar

Leave for at least 4 weeks

Back