Nothing but head.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrewHouse

Reaction score
My beer is serving up nothing but head. I'm using anywhere from 2 to 8 psi with 5 foot of 3/8 line. Right now I'm using a picnic tap. I haven't hooked up my perlicks yet. The beer serves super fast and all head. Where should I start

Should be 3/16 ID line. 5 feet is ok but a little longer would slow it down even more. But if you are truly using 3/8 line it's way to big.

Sorry your correct. It's 3/16 line. Beer is at 40 F. Has been since I let it sit to clear up. Most are at 2.5 units. I know it's a distribution problem because I tried sampling a pale ale that was kegged 48 hours ago and has virtually no carbonation and it served up fast and foamy

What kind of regulator do you have. Old or new its possible that the gauge is bad. I would try 10' of beer line and shorten till you get the pour right.

Can't remember the brand of regulator. It's brand new dual reg. one goes to a 5way manifold for carbing. And the other to a 3 way for whatever else. Ill try the ten foot line. If that works I just want to know why most people can get away with a five foot line and higher pressure and I have to go longer

I figured it out. As bad as I don't want to admit it. I went to a ten foot hose and that didn't help. Turns out I over carbed 10 kegs. I used burst carbing and know I over did it. But the other I did 30 psi for 24 hrs then 20 psi for 24 hrs then 12 for 24 hrs. And it all was too much. I have 3 of them under control. All the brew was at 40 deg. I have to fine tune my skills I guess. Any tips or suggestions

Well at least you know now! What temp was the beer when you first put it on gas? I find if I have a 70* keg that I place in my fridge I can go about 36-48 hours at 30 psi, after which I purge and back it down to server at like 12-13psi range. Drinkable in 4-5 days. I do this when I have to, but once you get the pipeline going you can set and forget...speaking of a pipeline 10 KEGS>????? haha

brettwasbtd said:
Well at least you know now! What temp was the beer when you first put it on gas? I find if I have a 70* keg that I place in my fridge I can go about 36-48 hours at 30 psi, after which I purge and back it down to server at like 12-13psi range. Drinkable in 4-5 days. I do this when I have to, but once you get the pipeline going you can set and forget...speaking of a pipeline 10 KEGS>????? haha

All our beer is at 40 deg after fermenting is complete, from secondary to kegging or bottling. We do ten gallon batches. We are brewing a milk stout and a porter this weekend. We have 110 Cuft of refrigeration room. 25 carboys and buckets. 20 total kegs. And 4,000 bottles. I'm building two keezers this weekend.

So at 40F what pressure and time period do you think I should try this next go around.

All our beer is at 40 deg after fermenting is complete, from secondary to kegging or bottling. We do ten gallon batches. We are brewing a milk stout and a porter this weekend. We have 110 Cuft of refrigeration room. 25 carboys and buckets. 20 total kegs. And 4,000 bottles. I'm building two keezers this weekend.

So at 40F what pressure and time period do you think I should try this next go around.

AT 40 degrees, 12 psi is about right. That would be permanently- set it at 12 psi and walk away.

If you feel that you have to rush, you could set the regulator at 30 psi for 24 hours, and then purge and reset it to 12 psi. The beer would be ready in a couple of days that way.

Latest posts

Back