Washed Yeast...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekge

Reaction score
I washed some Belgian Ale WLP550 and I can't really tell which layer is the yeast. Is it the thin, white layer just above the bottom trub layer or is it the middle murky layer?

Also: how do I pitch this? If the middle murky layer is the yeast then wouldn't I want to siphon out that part and pitch that only? I'm not doing a starter and I don't need much since I'm doing a 1 gal. batch.

Thanks for the tips everybody - cheers!

yeast-washed.jpg

it's the thin, white layer. The middle, murky layer is just stuff that hasn't had the chance to settle yet. you can always cold crash and wash again to get rid of more trub, if you so desire.

it's the thin, white layer. The middle, murky layer is just stuff that hasn't had the chance to settle yet. you can always cold crash and wash again to get rid of more trub, if you so desire.

I also just washed yeast for the first time today, and followed the steps in the yeast washing sticky (link). I thought the dead and dying yeast sank with the trub, and the healthier yeast stayed in suspension longer. This allows you to "wash" the yeast (i.e. physically separate the healthy yeast from everything else) sequentially such that you end up with mostly healthy yeast in your mason jar.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the middle section of the yeast is settling. I'm still curious as to how I pitch this?

yeast-washed2.jpg

Decant/pour off most of the liquid, swirl the remaining liquid and yeast, let it warm to room temp, and pitch to a starter or directly to the fermenter.
Unless you have a large volume of fresh yeast, a starter is recommended to increase cell count and prove viability.

Back