Fans of Rolling Rock, I saw a clone in beer magazine - recipe inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
As my per my usual #2 routine in the bathroom, i enjoy reading, especially beer magazines. I stumbled upon a Rolling Rock clone in there. Very informative and very specific on how to get the old rolling rock taste.

Note: The first one is extract, the all grain is labled "All Grain"

Just a few cuts from the magazine, threw on scanner and bam! Enjoy!

For those of you who want to give it a try, here it is:

Rolling Rock.jpg

Rolling Rock AG.jpg

Rock Clone. From the glass carboys of my basement I made this cloned beer for my enjoyment, as a tribute to my technical excellence. It comes from my plastic bucket to you.

Yep: 33.

Rolling Rock has fans? Really I think its one of the most disgusting beers ever. Id rather drink a budweiser. The horse on the bottle tells you what its brewed with... Horse Semen

Rolling Rock has fans? Really I think its one of the most disgusting beers ever. Id rather drink a budweiser. The horse on the bottle tells you what its brewed with... Horse Semen

I'm from Latrobe, and everyone around here drinks it with delusional pride. They all spout off about how it is the greatest beer on earth. If Rolling Rock was originally brewed in Cleveland, these same people wouldn't touch it. I personally agree that it stinks, I would rather drink warm Natty Ice.

Wow so many Rolling Rock haters. I usually don't like much outside strong Belgians but Rolling Rock is the best American ale I have had, regardless of the haters out there!

I have a question on a instruction in the recipe.

"Remove grains and rinse with 2 quarts of 170 deg. water"

I dont do all grain yet so im a little unfamiliar with what they mean by rinse. Like rinse like your washing off strawberries or something? And does that two quarts of hot water go in and combine with the rest of the 3 gallons in the kettle?

It also doesnt say when to add in the Flaked maize. At what point does that go in? with the first addition to the dried malt or with the 6 row grains?

I have a question on a instruction in the recipe.

"Remove grains and rinse with 2 quarts of 170 deg. water"

I dont do all grain yet so im a little unfamiliar with what they mean by rinse. Like rinse like your washing off strawberries or something? And does that two quarts of hot water go in and combine with the rest of the 3 gallons in the kettle?

It also doesnt say when to add in the Flaked maize. At what point does that go in? with the first addition to the dried malt or with the 6 row grains?

The maize would go in with the other grains. When you rinse with 2 quarts of 170 degree water, you can either lift out your grain bag and "tea bag" it in the 2 quarts of water, or lift the grainbag into a strainer/colander and pour the 2 quarts of 170 degree over it gently to "Rinse" the grainbed. And yes, you'd combine those runnings with the runnings from the steep/mash.

Wow so many Rolling Rock haters. I usually don't like much outside strong Belgians but Rolling Rock is the best American ale I have had, regardless of the haters out there!

I'd probably like it much better if it wasn't so crazy carbonated. The last time I had it (like 3+ years ago), I could barely gulp it down.

Yooper said:
The maize would go in with the other grains. When you rinse with 2 quarts of 170 degree water, you can either lift out your grain bag and "tea bag" it in the 2 quarts of water, or lift the grainbag into a strainer/colander and pour the 2 quarts of 170 degree over it gently to "Rinse" the grainbed. And yes, you'd combine those runnings with the runnings from the steep/mash.

What is the importance if this step?

What magazine was this in? It looks like a BYO layout. What edition?

I haven't had it in probably 21 and can't recall it's taste. I honestly didn't even know if it was still being made. DMS? Really. It almost sounds like a joke. But I don't remember it being particularly "cooked corny." In fact I would have thought it was a rice adjuncted lager.

What magazine was this in? It looks like a BYO layout. What edition?

I haven't had it in probably 21 and can't recall it's taste. I honestly didn't even know if it was still being made. DMS? Really. It almost sounds like a joke. But I don't remember it being particularly "cooked corny." In fact I would have thought it was a rice adjuncted lager.

Oh, it's definitely a classic DMS flavor. No doubt about it! It's the one beer that is well noted for being famous for having an off-flavor- DMS in the aroma, taste, and finish, all the way through. It's very vegetal, and stinky.

Ah, the ROCK.
When I was in college (long ago) and under aged, a friend worked at Latrobe Brewing and would get me cases for his price, a whopping $3.90/case! That plus a $3 student SEASON TICKET to the Pitt Panthers (who ended up #1 in the nation that season) made for a great year.

I still have a fondness for Rolling Rock no matter what. I might just have to try brewing this soon.

Well, I actually did brew this recipe, twice. Now, I'll admit that my experience with it in the past was always a terribly skunked bottle of nasty beer I could never finish. I'd probably had 2-3 in my life and not once did I actually drink the whole bottle.

My smack pack of American Lager yeast didn't kick over, ended up pitching a dry pack of Saflager W-34/70 (Weihenstephan). Overall it was like Rolling Rock, but mine wasn't skunked and had a real (to me) cornbread character.

I'd do it again and if you are at all interested in trying to brew a Rolling Rock clone this is a good recipe to start.

I did a longer write-up on it here.

Bumping/subscribing, because I think I will actually give this a try.

There are things that I really like about Rolling Rock, and there are things that "scare" me about Rolling Rock. It looks like the recipe combined with decent home-brew practices will produce a beer that accentuates the positives while dealing with the negatives.

I'll try to brew it sometime this spring or summer - we'll see how it goes ~ :mug:

Nice necro!

Funny to see someone in Vancouver cloning this.

I had a lot of good times drinking 30-packs of pony bottles, forever ago.

I've been wanting to try cloning another Western PA old brewhouse lager...Stoney's. I have a draft recipe. I just never seem to get to it.

Back