bjcp category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonP

Reaction score
I want to enter this recipe for a competition , but i am unsure what stlye it falls into.

7lbs 2 row
2lbs munich
.63 lbs cara amber
1 oz pearl
1oz sterling
wlp 009 austrailian ale
ibu 40
srm8
abv5

any help would be appreciated.

You could go to bjcp.org & look at their list of style guidelines. I was thinking "amber highbred beer",7A,B,& C by what you listed...?

Yeah looks sort of like an amber but you need to read the style guidelines and see which description fits.

It is generally not a good idea to enter a beer that doesn't match well with a particular category, because then all of your feedback is going to be a variant of "doesn't match style guidelines" and your beer will score poorly.

Yeah looks sort of like an amber

Def not an amber, hops are too low, and not near enough crystal.
Could maybe be a pale ale if the color isn't too copper like, but again, the hops are quite sparse for the style...
I'd enter it as a hybrid or specialty beer (23)

True,this,weirdboy. That seems to be the #1 problem with submissions. It seems they're more interested in a strict example of a style. It looks like it'd be hard to push the envelope on any given style.

Back