Do I have this correct? When I pitch my lager yeast, the yeast should be @ pitch temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
my 2nd batch of AG. A lager. I made a starter and kept it in the fridge a few days. After brewing I cooled my wort to 53 and let the yeast warm up to 53, decanted and pitched it in.
I wouldn't think the yeast should be warmer by more than 10F above the wort.

Did I do it right?

Your yeast are fine. FWIW, John Palmer suggests pitching right from the fridge. I think the rule of thumb is to pitch within 10 deg. C. So, 10 deg. F, is nothing.

Okay cool. I was expecting some activity after 10 hours but I guess every yeast has a mind of it's own when it comes to lag time

Lager fermentations are deceptive, you have to remember that the colder temperature of the wort is going to be able to absorb more CO2 before releasing any visible bubbles.

Lager fermentations are deceptive, you have to remember that the colder temperature of the wort is going to be able to absorb more CO2 before releasing any visible bubbles.

The little guys were at work overnite. :mug:

Back