Need Hefeweizen Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I'm planning a hefe coming up because I love the clove and banana flavors. I know the shelf life for this beer isn't long but I was wondering if anyone had experience with just how soon it goes south. I don't blow through beer and my family/friends are BMC crowds for the most part so this is the reason for my question.

1. How long does a hefe stay good in the bottle at ~64F?

2. What is the best yeast strain for the strong banana and cloves flavors?

3. Anyone have a good recipe emphasizing the banana and cloves flavors?

Thanks yall!

1. Longer than you think. The balance of the beer will change, you will lose the banana and get more clove over time but it still will be good at 6 months.

2. 3068 Weihenstephan. I ferment mine warm 70+ to get banana bomb. Ferment in mid 60's you get balance right away between the esters.

3. All grain or extract?

I think it will taste great for months. The colder you store it the longer it should last.

I use the WLP300 and really like the results. Most people agree that the fermentation temp effects the banana and clove. Higher temps get you more banana. Lower temps keep the banana at bay and let the clove shine.

For recipe keep it very simple. perhaps 3/4 - 1 oz of hops for the boil. at least 50% wheat malt. no crystal or any thing like that. This beer is all about the yeast. Keep all the other flavors mild and let the yeast flavors take center stage. Enjoy!

I go with 30% pils malt, 10% Munich, 60% wheat malt.

A little hallertau for bittering.

WLP300 yeast at 17C. I find the higher temperatures 22C and above make a very medicinal, clovey tasting beer. I find you get way more phenolics at the higher temperatures (contrary to what I see posted on the internet).

I made a great Hefe about 6 weeks ago with the same grain bill listed by Mysterio. I used WLP 300 and fermented at about 68 degrees. Great bannana flavor and still good a month later in the keg.

1. Longer than you think. The balance of the beer will change, you will lose the banana and get more clove over time but it still will be good at 6 months.

2. 3068 Weihenstephan. I ferment mine warm 70+ to get banana bomb. Ferment in mid 60's you get balance right away between the esters.

3. All grain or extract?

Hey sorry I couldn't answer questions till now. I brew all grain if that helps with recipes. Seems like a hefe would be a rather cheap beer to brew given that the hop bill and specialty grain bill is cheap. Anybody know how hard the WLP 300 ferments? Just trying to figure where in the house I should stash this to get the fermentation temp I need.

Back