Pumpkin Ale Timing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should leave my pumpkin ale in the primary a little extra time before racking it in order to absorb more pumpkiny goodness.

Also, anyone ever add additional spices to the secondary? If so, to what effect? I'm looking to get a real cinnamon/nutmeg flavor going.

just put my pumpkin ale in the secondary sunday, according to the recipe i had it said put 1 crushed whole nutmeg and 1 fresh cinimon stick cracked up into the secondary.

I bottled mine this week, when I tasted it, it was still quite spicy. I had put 1tsp of both cinnamon and nutmeg in at flame out, along with 4tsp of each during the boil. I am waiting for it to condition and age for a bit, and am actulay hoping it will mellow more, as it has more spice flavor than I was hoping for.

The thing is, the spice level is so subjective, I can't know what you consider a "real" spice flavor.

I suggest tasting it as it goes, if it isn't flavorful enough for you, add more spices. I would err on the side of not enough spice during the boil, and adding more to make it taste the way you want. That is much easier, than taking spices out.

I,ve seen alot of people adding their spices at bottling as a spice tea, that is what Sam from Dogfish Head segested, and he is a pro. Not that it helps now or anything.

I left mine in the primary for almost 2 weeks to get the pumpkin to settle out as much as possible. I was able to get a little over 5 gallons of pretty clear beer into the secondary.

Back