hook & ladder brewing co. & Southern Tier brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
anybody try Hook & Ladder?

I went with Southern Tier Brewing Company variety pack of pales. Very good, except for american wheat. but I'm not an american wheat style fan. always misses the mark for me, guess I'm too used to the bavarian style. if you like american wheats it was probably pretty good. would buy Southern Tier again

:mug:

I like southern tier.. Phinn & Matt's is a pretty good beer, and their porter aint bad either.

H&L? I had their backdraft brown and did not care for it.

I think I made the right choice, Southern Tier pales where all good Really liked the IPA. would buy again!

agreed, Phin & Matts was really good, and the IPA was an outstanding example of style!

new brewery to ad to my favs list!

I picked up some of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout a couple weeks back. It's sitting in storage for a nice cool fall or winter night.

I picked up some of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout a couple weeks back. It's sitting in storage for a nice cool fall or winter night.

SWMBO and I call that "Liquid cake in a bottle"

It's weird, from the bottle it's got a lot of caramel notes, but on draft its almost all vanilla...

Or the other way around, I cant remember.. :drunk:

checked their website, man I hope I can start getting their full line here in SC!

looks like some interesting brews

I'm a big fan of southern tier, and being in NY I can get almost everything they make! Their IPA, UnEarthly IIPA, Gemini IIPA and Back burner were all great. Their porter wasnt too bad after I got used to the slightly smoky flavor.

Phin and Matts Extraordinary ale is less than stellar IMO. It should be called Phin and Matts Mediocre(at best) Ale, better than BMC! It seemed no matter how slowly and carefully I poured form the bottle to a glass, the head was ridiculous! I'd get about and inch or beer in a 12 oz glass and the head would fill it the rest of the way! Not bad, but I wouldnt buy it again

Southern Tier's hop bombs are great. Hoppe, Gemini, Unearthly, etc. I even just had Iniquity, their Black IIPA. It was great too. Their only lighter gravity beer I've tried was Hop Sun and it was just OK.

H&L's Ember Amber is good beer; it's their blend of their Golden Ale and Backdraft brown. Still not as good as the stuff we brew at home tho'.

I love Southern Tier's brews. I just picked up a bomber of their Pumking pumpkin ale. Kinda early for an autumn release, but I'll give it a try this weekend. I haven't had a bad brew yet. Their imperial series is pricey, but are overall great beers.

Phinn & Matt's is a pretty good beer.
Really? I think it tastes like sewer... one of my least favorite beers.

Creme Brulee and Pumking are two of my favorites... I find Southern Tier very hit and miss (for example: Raspberry Porter, incredible. Raspberry Wheat... not so much.)

I think P&M has changed in the last two years, but it's still an easy drinker for me.

Not usually my first choice, but a choice just the same.

There's no accounting for taste.. I went to a concert a couple weeks ago and was drnking Canadians without gagging, so who knows.

Haven't tried any H&L brews, but I love Souther Tier's stuff.

Their imperial stouts are excellent...Jah-vah & Choklat! The only beer I didn't really care for was their Raspberry Porter. Great idea, but fell short on the execution. Reminded me of eating one of those chocolate covered jelly rings. Their hoppy beers are also great...which is the one that's almost impossible to open with that wax seal, is it the Gemini? :eek: Pumking is ridiculous, the most intense pumpkin ale I've ever had. It's certainly a sipper.:drunk:

LOVE Southern Tier. H&L is good, just wish they'd expand outside of the brown ale/amber ale/etc styles a bit.

My wife really likes the H&L Lighter. not a bad summer beer - more flavor than BMC and easy to drink if you are outside doing some work.

I've also found myself to be a big fan of Leinies Summer Shandy while hanging out at the lake. Anyone had that?

Southern Tier is one of my favorite breweries. They make some of the best "big beers" of any micro. Pumking is the best pumpkin beer around and I buy tons of it during the fall season. I also enjoy their IPA, Harvest, Jah va Coffee Stout, Creme Brulee, and Cuvee Series. I don't think I've tried a beer from them I haven't liked.

Back