bottled and have sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebu

Reaction score
I bottled my first brew 10 days ago. At the bottom of the fermentor was a "sludge", grey waste it looked like. So I move to bottling bucket and bottle, and after 10 days I see this same appearing sludge in the bottom of my bottles. Can I still drink? I have a 6er of clear bottles I could take a picture.

Send me a few and I will drink it to make sure it is safe:D

After 10 or 12 brews you will have refined your siphoning skills and you will have less and less trub. Right now it is important to learn how to pour your beer from bottle to glass leaving that trub behind.

Prob. normal. Congrats on the first brew

It is sediment comprised of yeast and probably a little trub. Homebrew that is bottle carbed and conditioned will have sediment, unless you filter it all out, which will strip flavor from your brew. It is totally normal.

If you haven't already, I would suggest reading up on homebrewing, and doing some research. a good place to start is here: How to Brew - By John Palmer

I thought this was the case but wanted to be sure. Can't wait to crack one of these open and try them out.

Send me a few and I will drink it to make sure it is safe:D

After 10 or 12 brews you will have refined your siphoning skills and you will have less and less trub. Right now it is important to learn how to pour your beer from bottle to glass leaving that trub behind.

Prob. normal. Congrats on the first brew

x2 it is perfectly normal, if it wasn't there your beers wouldn't be carbed

This is why home brew must be served in a glass, when you pour leave the last 1/4" behind.

Yes it's perfectly normal. There are even expensive controversial beers that have this, although they probably have less then your beer does.

Back