American Stout Hop God - American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Dark, roasty, and supremely hoppy
This beer started off as a spin on Troegs Java Head (which I remember being much hoppier back in the day). Over several iterations and changes, I took out the coffee and amped up the hops, and wound up with this finalized recipe. Apollo hops are powerful, and perfect for roasty beers.

Hop God is roasty, resinous, dank, and delicious!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 31.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 62.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
10 lbs 4.0 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - 77.3 %
1 lbs, 2 oz - Flaked Oats (1.0 SRM) - 8.5 %
13 oz - Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 6.1 %
8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) - 3.8 %
6.1 oz - Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 2.9 %
3 oz - Pale Chocolate Malt - 1.4%
1.30 oz - Magnum [12.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min - 50.2 IBUs
1.00 oz - Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 7.3 IBUs
0.50 oz - Apollo [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 5.3 IBUs
1.00 oz - Columbus [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min - 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg - S05 (DCL/Fermentis #S05) [23.66 ml]

3.00 oz Dry Hop - Columbus/Chinook/Apollo [13.00 %] - Dry Hop

Mash @ 152*F

This looks awesome, thanks for the recipe. I have a bulk supply of columbus and chinook hops and I was looking for something other than an IPA to use them in so this recipe looks like something I can get behind. I love stouts, so I will be making this one next weekend! Will update once it's been brewed and bottled with a taste report.

Thanks again

This looks awesome, thanks for the recipe. I have a bulk supply of columbus and chinook hops and I was looking for something other than an IPA to use them in so this recipe looks like something I can get behind. I love stouts, so I will be making this one next weekend! Will update once it's been brewed and bottled with a taste report.

Thanks again

Of course! Yeah I have a lot of CTZ and Chinook too, that resinous dank flavor goes well with roasted grains. I will say to make sure to give them the sniff test before you use them, I had a bag of Columbus go really oniony on me, I think that was from the 2012 harvest.

Both bags of hops I have were vacuum sealed until a week ago, since then I've had them stored in my freezer taped shut. Its not airtight but hopefully that will keep them fresh enough until i can brew with them in a week or two. They were harvested summer of 2013 so fingers crossed no odd flavors develop

I just mashed in on this, hit mash temp perfect, 152. Now just hoping to hit my gravity, fingers crossed on that :cross:

Planning on following the recipe exactly except subbing Columbus for the magnum addition. Hopefully that doesn't make too big of a difference. We'll see how the rest of today goes.

:mug:

Good luck sounds interesting. Like to know how hops get along with your grain bill. Please keep up to date with your results Thanks.

I just mashed in on this, hit mash temp perfect, 152. Now just hoping to hit my gravity, fingers crossed on that :cross:

Planning on following the recipe exactly except subbing Columbus for the magnum addition. Hopefully that doesn't make too big of a difference. We'll see how the rest of today goes.

:mug:

It should suit the beer just fine. Bittering with Columbus might accentuate the 'roughness' of these types of hops which should suit this recipe pretty nicely, stouts seem to do well with that.

So everything went good, no real problems or headaches. My O.G. ended up being 1.058 which isn't too bad, almost the 1.060, but Im not complaining. I pitcheded 1/2 cup of S-05 slurry so well see how things are looking in a few weeks!

I'll post my review tomorrow when I get back on my computer, but short answer is, this beer is AWESOME!

It tastes like a less alcoholic Storm King, which just happens to be my favorite stout at the moment.

If you're considering making this, definitely do it!

Like I said I'll post up some pics and give a better review soon when I get more time.

This really came out great :mug:

So as promised here are a couple pics of the Hop God stout recipe that I made. This was a really good stout, the hops go along with the roastiness of the malts perfectly. I will definitely be making this again and I recommend anyone else that likes hoppy stouts give this one a try as well, it's a real winner!

Thanks for posting this recipe bovineblitz!

Oat stout 2.jpg

Oat stout 1.jpg

I just kegged this yesterday. Hit 1.058 OG and it finished at 1.018. I had a bit of extra Magnum left over in the bag so I threw it all in, I calculated my IBU to be at 71, and it shows! Big lingering bitterness, though that will fade a bit with age.

Brilliant hop profile, great amount of roasted coffee flavor coming through.

However the body, to my palate is a little on the thin side. I think if I was going to brew this again, and I most likely will given we're coming into winter here, I would beef up the malt backbone and up the ABV by a percent to bring a beer like this up to 6.5%.

I think I'll add a kilo (2.2 lb) of Munich to the recipe and see how that fares. Might even consider using M.O in place of 2-row.

Thanks for sharing.

I just kegged this yesterday. Hit 1.058 OG and it finished at 1.018. I had a bit of extra Magnum left over in the bag so I threw it all in, I calculated my IBU to be at 71, and it shows! Big lingering bitterness, though that will fade a bit with age.

Brilliant hop profile, great amount of roasted coffee flavor coming through.

However the body, to my palate is a little on the thin side. I think if I was going to brew this again, and I most likely will given we're coming into winter here, I would beef up the malt backbone and up the ABV by a percent to bring a beer like this up to 6.5%.

I think I'll add a kilo (2.2 lb) of Munich to the recipe and see how that fares. Might even consider using M.O in place of 2-row.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice, thanks for the feedback! I actually used to brew this at a higher gravity, but the hops don't punch through as much, it's tough to get them to really shine in a stout. I find that the balance in the recipe is perfect for me, but it absolutely would be nice if it were a little fatter. Maybe cranking up the oats would be the best of both worlds?

Nice, thanks for the feedback! I actually used to brew this at a higher gravity, but the hops don't punch through as much, it's tough to get them to really shine in a stout. I find that the balance in the recipe is perfect for me, but it absolutely would be nice if it were a little fatter. Maybe cranking up the oats would be the best of both worlds?

You know what? Now that it's been sitting in the keg for a month I totally agree with you. It balanced out and it's just fine how it is. I might try up the oats a bit but otherwise leave it as is.

Cheers

Hey all, brewing my second version of this great recipe this morning. Grains are mashing right now actually, about to start sparging soon. For this batch I'm skipping the 60 min addition and going with 1 oz Columbus as a FWH. I'm also only doing 3 gallons but keeping the grain total the same (actually I just relooked I used 9.45 lbs not 11+ as in the original recipe) so should get about 8.5% this time. Will update as it comes along :)

Last edited:
This comes out tasting pretty close to Victory Storm King stout, which is one of my favorite stouts. Make sure you dry hop it, the aroma of the hops mixed with the roastiness of the stout is awesome.

My second iteration of this recipe is damned tasty, but I think next time I will leave out the lactose, it added a touch of sweetness to the finish that I can do without. Still though, this is going to be my "house" stout recipe, I can drink this all the time

Looking at making this sometime this week, it'll only be our second batch of homebrew, very excited.

Wondering what you guys think of substituting Briess chocolate malt for the 6 oz of pale chocolate. Can't get our hands on any pale chocolate right now. Tried to order some online and they were out and suggested it as a replacement. Input would be appreciated!

Looking at making this sometime this week, it'll only be our second batch of homebrew, very excited.

Wondering what you guys think of substituting Briess chocolate malt for the 6 oz of pale chocolate. Can't get our hands on any pale chocolate right now. Tried to order some online and they were out and suggested it as a replacement. Input would be appreciated!

Should be fine, that's a lighter chocolate malt anyways. It definitely won't be a problem.

Good luck with the brewday!

Still really early but couldn't wait, cracked a bottle last night and I like it! Definitely resiny, nice bitter to roasty ratio. My girlfriend's mom said she smelled fruit and thought it was complex.

glass.jpg

Still really early but couldn't wait, cracked a bottle last night and I like it! Definitely resiny, nice bitter to roasty ratio. My girlfriend's mom said she smelled fruit and thought it was complex.

Awesome, looking forward to hear how it matures. Looks pretty damn tasty in that pic!

Haven't had anyone try this beer that didn't like it. It was a hit tonight at our local homebrew meeting at the local craft brewery. The brewmaster really liked it, so did our CAMRA president. Definitely will brew this again.

Great recipe, for anyone thinking of trying this. Came out exactly as described.

Sounds like the perfect beer for me to use up some hops that have been lying around a bit too long here.

I will have to make some hop substitutions but should still turn out good.
Taurus for Magnum, Northern Brewer for Chinook and Summit for Apollo.

I might do also a big whirlpool addition of the NB, Summit and Columbus for 20 to 30 mins instead of dry hopping. So will account for the extra IBUs by reducing the Taurus at 60 mins.

:ban:

I just brewed this one last night. Hit 1.062 OG after I made a couple of changes. Mainly replacing the 60m addition with Nugget and the 5m Apollo addition with Nugget as well. I also had 6oz of pale chocolate sitting around that I added to the mash as well to bring up the total pale chocolate bill to 8oz.

I can't get Apollo locally so I'm wondering what hop would be best to substitute for Apollo in the dry hop schedule. I've got bulk Nugget, Columbus, Willamette, Cascade, Centennial and Warrior. I was planning on doing 1oz each of Columbus, Chinook, and Willamette. Would you recommend any of these other hops in replace of the Willamette? I've got no experience with Apollo.

10.25 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 75.9%
1.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 11.1%
0.8 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 5.9%
0.4 lb American - Roasted Barley 33 300 3%
0.5625 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate 33 207 4.2%
13.51 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Nugget Pellet 13.5 Boil 60 min 48.45
1 oz Chinook Pellet 13 Boil 5 min 9.3
0.75 oz Nugget Pellet 13.5 Boil 5 min 7.24
1 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 0 min
1 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Chinook Pellet 13 Dry Hop 5 days

I brewed this recipe before and subbed Bravo for Apollo. It was really good. I'm not sure about the others you have, but you really couldnt go wrong with the Cascade. Cheers!

Just took a gravity ready last night and was at 1.012 so I added 1OZ each of Columbus, Willamette, and Chinook for dry hopping. The taste of the gravity sample after only 6 days is fantastic. I'm really looking forward to getting this one ready to serve.

I'd like to make a hoppy stout like this.
How does this one age in the bottle?
It's not something I'd drink a few pints of in one go but would be nice to slowly chip away on it bottle by bottle over a 6 month period. From October through April or is this something that starts getting unbalanced after a few months when the hops fade?
Thanks ;)

Back