columbus for dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a full columbus pale ale recentlyt and dry hopped with 2 0Z It was great! pine citrus onion resin

It's in the cascade, centennial, amarillo, family (Called the "Big C's") if that helps.

Yes its a great dry hop throw a few in handfulls.

Only a few?

Some of the American high alpha varieties are finding a new hop in the fermenter as dry hops. While some brewers may be a bit turned off by there punch you in the face with hops characteristics, a lot of people are really enjoying what they add to the beer profile.

I just dry hopped an IPA with Colombus and Simcoe....contrary to the common belief, I did not get "cat piss" from the Simcoe. In fact all I can really compare the aroma to is dank nuggets.

I just dry hopped an IPA with Colombus and Simcoe....contrary to the common belief, I did not get "cat piss" from the Simcoe. In fact all I can really compare the aroma to is dank nuggets.

niceeee, my dry hops are gonna be columbus, simcoe, cascade. i heard about the cat piss thing and almost decided to not go with simcoe. glad im hearing bomb results....

Made a couple of all columbus ipas that have all turned out great. I do this with hops a lot, using only one variety all the way through on a simple grain bill (pale 2-row bulk, 6% medium crystal, maybe a dash or two of something like carapils). Gives you a good idea of everything the hop has or doesn't have going for it.

LegitBrew said:
Made a couple of all columbus ipas that have all turned out great. I do this with hops a lot, using only one variety all the way through on a simple grain bill (pale 2-row bulk, 6% medium crystal, maybe a dash or two of something like carapils). Gives you a good idea of everything the hop has or doesn't have going for it.

Even simpler than that is a SMASH brew: Single Malt And Single Hop. That was going to be the plan for my first brew, but then I added some crystal malt and used Cascade and Citra, so that went out of the window. I've double dry hopped it and I'll be bottling it on Sunday; so far it's tasting amazing.

I guess the idea of keeping it simple with a single hop is to understand that hop, then repeat with other hops, so eventually you can put together a recipe and KNOW which hops are going to give you the profile you want.

I have dry hopped with Columbus a couple times. I really like it. Gives a real deep hop taste. It does not taste great at bottling, but after 3 weeks bottle conditioning it is great. :rockin:

My dad brought me some columbus hops. I was poking around and found this thread, so I thought I'd bump it. What's the consensus on Columbus as a dry hop, cat piss or weed?

Back