Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers said:
I don't know what the critters are like in your neck of the woods, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the height of your floor is that it's perfect for skunks to make it home. No, I'm not talking about you and your friends, I'm talking about real Pepe le Pew type skunks. Is that something you have to consider?

Anyway, it's looking really good. I'll be watching for more pics. I hope you intend on posting pics all the way up to the first inaugural brew.

Thanks. We'll be attaching a lattic skirt to go around the bottom. Hopefully, that will keep most kritters out.

Uncle Argyle said:
I know, Ed seemed happy to get away with only needing to trim some branches...it's just that from the pictures that tree seems to be leaning quite a bit. Can't tell if it's over the cleared area or not.

We're running into more tree than I thought, but we're trimming as we go.

My brother in law is going to notch the gable around the tree so we don't have to cut the tree on the left down. I'll trim it on top though.

Then again, if it comes between the BrewHaus or the tree, Husquvarna will do the coin toss. :D

Dammit!!!! Wish I had looked at this thread sooner!!! Lookin' good! Who's taking care of the electric out there for ya?? If you're doing it yourself, there's plenty of sparkies on this forum that'll give you advice. I'd come down and help myself, but it's a bit of a drive...........

Bernie Brewer said:
Dammit!!!! Wish I had looked at this thread sooner!!! Lookin' good! Who's taking care of the electric out there for ya?? If you're doing it yourself, there's plenty of sparkies on this forum that'll give you advice. I'd come down and help myself, but it's a bit of a drive...........

Thanks. I have another neighbor who's a sparky helping out with that. We're running a 60 AMP service out to it.

Wow, that looks great Ed! I was wondering along the same lines as Fingers though about critters getting up underneath. Also, Are you going to insulate the floor somehow? I remember hearing mention of a coldroom and airconditioning.

deathweed said:
Wow, that looks great Ed! I was wondering along the same lines as Fingers though about critters getting up underneath. Also, Are you going to insulate the floor somehow? I remember hearing mention of a coldroom and airconditioning.

The cold room floor will be insulated. I hadn't thought of insulating the floor of the entire BrewHaus. What would be best to do that?

EdWort said:
Thanks. I have another neighbor who's a sparky helping out with that. We're running a 60 AMP service out to it.

Good! Make sure to bury TWO pipes, one for phone and cable. I know, I know, you may not WANT it right now, but if you change your mind you're covered.

The way to insulate the floor would be to tack a breathable membrane on the bottom of your crossmembers and the lay the insulation down before you put the floor down. Or so I've been told by a contractor that I just recently had a discussion with about this very idea.

Quilyn

EdWort said:
It's going to be 12'x20' minimum with a gabled roof. Brewery in the back that can brew rain or shine, day or night. Up front is the Bierstube with 4 faucets coming from the cold room. Bee Cave Brewery becomes reality, just at an amature level.

Ed - You'll have to have a nice Bee Cave Brewery sign hanging over the door!

I look forward to seeing more pictures.... As a ball park figure what's it costing you if you don't mind saying.

With all the time that you are going to be spending out there you better be putting in an Internet connection so you can still answer all our questions.
If you are going to be laying a couple pipes undergound for your power and phone drop a couple data cables in the pipe that the phone line is going in. As long as you don't go over 290 feet you should be fine. If your brewhut is further than that then you will have to go wireless using directional antennas.

Another exhausting day. Thankfully a number of neighbors (who love my beer) and friends showed up to help today. We got a lot of stuff done and my goal of getting it under roof this weekend looks like a real possiblity. I have loads of pics, but I'm just going to post 8 and hit the hay. I have to take my brother-in-law and sister to the airport at 6 am. He is spent. What a great guy. I owe him big time for his tremendous help and his anal ways at getting things done. I owe my neighbors and friend many night sitting in the Bierstube drinking beer (but that's what this is all about, isn't it?). Great help from friends & family. Anyway, the Haus ale is kicking in. Time for pics and signing off.

BrewhausBuild8.jpg

My next door neighbor spent most of the day in the rafters. What a guy! and he sells wine for a living and prefers my beer!!!!!
BrewhausBuild9.jpg

BrewhausBuild10.jpg

BrewhausBuild11.jpg

EricS said:
With all the time that you are going to be spending out there you better be putting in an Internet connection so you can still answer all our questions.
If you are going to be laying a couple pipes undergound for your power and phone drop a couple data cables in the pipe that the phone line is going in. As long as you don't go over 290 feet you should be fine. If your brewhut is further than that then you will have to go wireless using directional antennas.

I'll be doing wireless internet in there and wireless telephone. The technology is available, so I'll use it along with another XM radio account for brew tunes and Direct TV for a small LCD TV.

BierMuncher said:
Lookin good my friend.

Course...I don't see you in there... :D
Luckily, my sister was taking pics with her camera so I have evidence of sweat equity in the project in addition to numbers you are used to working with. :D

From yesterday. I just finished tacking down the floor. 4x8 sheets of 5/8" treated plywood.

BrewhausBuild15a.jpg

From today, putting finishing touches on a header. I love nail guns!!! If you look closely, I have by Ben Franklin shirt on.

BrewhausBuild15.jpg

Awesome Edwort!

You know how much we all wish we could be there to help. I can't wait to see the final product. I see you have added a front porch as well!

EdWort, i'm kinda disappointed! If you watch the construction workers here in Germany, they always have a beer in one hand! To shame, to shame.

It's looking great! Can't wait to see all the Bayerische garb you'll be putting up. Ein Prosit to you Sir.

Please tell me that storm this morning didn't damage anything on this frickin' awesome project Ed. Please tell me that.

Scooter Pete said:
Please tell me that storm this morning didn't damage anything on this frickin' awesome project Ed. Please tell me that.

I don't think so. It's just wet in some places. I'll know more later this morning after I head out and start uncovering things. I'm waiting for another hour or so till the radar shows the rain moving off.

More work today! I'd like to get the shingles on, Tyvek wrap it, and most of the siding today.

Nail guns are amazing. The nails go in so fast, the boards don't have a chance to move. I hate toe-nailing by hand.

david_42 said:
Nail guns are amazing. The nails go in so fast, the boards don't have a chance to move. I hate toe-nailing by hand.

Yeah, you need 3 hands or a clamp sometimes.

It's raining cats & dogs right now. Oh well, I guess every construction job has to deal with it sometimes.

BrewHausinRain.jpg

EdWort said:
I'll be doing wireless internet in there and wireless telephone. The technology is available, so I'll use it along with another XM radio account for brew tunes and Direct TV for a small LCD TV.

Cool! But lay the extra pipe anyway, and leave it empty. Electrical PVC is cheap enough. That way you're covered. Lookin' great, Ed!!!!

Klainmeister said:
EdWort, i'm kinda disappointed! If you watch the construction workers here in Germany, they always have a beer in one hand! To shame, to shame.
Somehow, I don't think drinking and high-velocity nail guns are a good mix!
sanglant3.gif

The brew hut is looking great Ed, I can see sitting on the porch while drinking a Haus Pale Ale or three. :D

BlindLemonLars said:
Somehow, I don't think drinking and high-velocity nail guns are a good mix!
sanglant3.gif

When the bell tolls on thursday at 1 pm, all the workers toast a beer to fallen comrades. It's part of the job here i suppose.

It's looking great Ed...

Did I miss it where you said what this was going to be for? Are you setting up a big indoor brewing rig? Or is this to hang-out and drink in?

That's awesome, Ed. Amazed at how much you guys got done just in one weekend. Looking forward to seeing the finished article!

Back