I won some grain....What do I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davarm

Reaction score
I purchased a few raffle tickets at my local brew club monthly meeting yesterday, and ended up winning 5 lbs. of Briess Caramel Munich 60L, crushed and vacuum packed.

So I need some advice, and perhaps some recipes on how I can best use this. What styles would be best suited to this grain, and what else do I have to add to add in the grain area to make a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks for any advice.

"and what else do I have to add to add in the grain area to make a 5 gallon batch?"

Ok, I'll give you the short answer:

about 8 - 12 lbs of two row grain (your choice)
mash in the low to mid 150's for an hour.
boil w/ 1-2 oz. hops(your choice again)
flavor and finish w/ hops (your choice again)

caramel malt is pretty much a standard addition to most ales I think.

Are you brewing Extract? Check out some pale ale or IPA recipes. You wouldn't be using all 5lb at once though. :)

If you have not steeped grains before, keep in mind you steep at 170 but do NOT boil the grains.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Are you brewing Extract? Check out some pale ale or IPA recipes. You wouldn't be using all 5lb at once though. :)

If you have not steeped grains before, keep in mind you steep at 170 but do NOT boil the grains.
No, I'll be doing all grain brewing. I know 5 lbs. is not enough for a whole batch and would plan on buying the remainder. I'm not sure how standard of a base malt that Briess Carmel Munich is.

It's not a base malt. You would probably use up to a pound in a 5 gallon recipe with other grains.

Pale Ale - 0.5 lb
Amber Ale, Brown Ale, California Common, Porter, American Stout - Maybe up to 1 lb
Scotish Ale, Scotch Ale, Old Ale, Barleywine, Imperial Stout - 1 lb

edit - I'm an idiot, it's caramunich, not just caramel 60

You could still use it in these beers. Caramunich is also good in bock, doppelbock, dunkel, dunkelweizen, any amber lager. A number of darker belgian styles.

Basically any beer that you wan to add some carmelly sweetness and a slight amber color to would work.

As they said, you will not use all five pounds in one batch, as CaraMunich is not a base malt. It will not produce fermentables.

You can use more than a pound in a five gallon recipe, but you have to build around that with other malt character and some serious hops. I've used as much as three pounds of 55L crystal many times before, and it works out well if you make it right. I just brewed with 1.5#, and I like the way the worst tasted on the way to the primary. We'll know more about that batch in a few weeks.

TL

Back