Adding ingrdients to the software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
My grain supplier has a list of grains they offer.

The brewery software I use does not use the same names, or, the ingredients may be a bit different from that in the software

How do you reconcile these differences?

Depending on the type of software, many will allow you to edit or add new ingredients. You'd have to get all of the necessary information from your LHBS or the manufacturer of the product you are trying to add to the database.

Bah Humbug said:
It would help if you gave more information.

Yes, ty

I want to purchase an all grain kit from my supplier to brew a Kolsch.

Part of the Grain bill for that kit is a Durst Pilsen.

I want to build the recipe in my SW and be as accurate as possible.

My software does not list a Durst Pilsen, but does have a Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)

How can I determine that the grains are if not the same, very similar?

What software?

Durst Pilsner Malt. 1.6° L. Durst Pils is the finest European pilsner malt available to home brewers. Lagers made from this malt have a bright, clean, full-bodied character.
http://www.durstmalz.de/maltapilsen.html
Humedad 3,8 - 4,5% Extracto de malta molida fina 80 - 83% Trs (dependiendo del año)
Diferencia de extracto 1,0 - 2,3%
Color de la malta 3,0 - 3,8 EBC
Color de cocción 5,0 - 6,0 EBC
Contenido de proteínas 10,0 - 11,3%
Trs (dependiendo del año)
Grado de disolución de proteínas 39 - 47%
Hartong VZ 45 36,0 - 44,0% mPas
Viscosidad 1,48 - 1,58 mp/sek (8,6% mosto)
Friabilidad harinosa 80 - 90
Friabilidad vitrea <2,0
Tamizado Fracci&#243;n 2,8 & 2,2 mm >90
Restos <0,6% (dependiendo del a&#241;o)
DMSP <600 ppb
FAN 130 - 180 mg/l
Poder diast&#225;tico 230 - 320 Wk Trs

Gammon N Beer said:
Yes, ty

I want to purchase an all grain kit from my supplier to brew a Kolsch.

Part of the Grain bill for that kit is a Durst Pilsen.

I want to build the recipe in my SW and be as accurate as possible.

My software does not list a Durst Pilsen, but does have a Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)

How can I determine that the grains are if not the same, very similar?

TY
I intentionally left the software out of this as it is not necessarily a problem with the software. Further, I would imagine it is an issue with a number of programs.

The program I am using is Beer Smith.

If you search around the BeerSmith website or some other forums (honestly, I forget which ones), you can find some additional files to import into BeerSmith in order to get a more complete ingredients list.

Durst Pils was included in one of the imports I downloaded. Here's what the entry looks like:

4688-durst.jpg

Go to the Grains & Extracts section of the program, and you'll find a button to add new ingredients in the top left.

TY for the response and help.

I have downloaded all the updates and find need for more. As I begin to plan my brew projects I am developing the recipes and am finding some grains not in the Beer Smith database.

I have gone to the company websites that make the grains and remain confused. They do not offer the information that may be needed. One example is the SRM factor and I believe others. (Please know I am very new at this and really do not know the technical aspects of grain. But, if the components are listed in Beer Smith, they must have some importance.)

McKBrew and yourself have pointed out, the software does allow us to add ingredients. My issue is finding the ingredients to add to my database. (BTW - I would be happy to then provide Brad Smith from Beer Smith the data so he can add it. I must make sure of accuracy.)

Is there a grain comparison system out there somewhere?

Latest posts

Back